Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Let's see your non-bass!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, May 17, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You know you are multitalented. Show us what else you play besides bass. Here's my six string alto-bass:

[​IMG]

2. parker is made in the town right next to me, just a hick town in mass. if there bass looked better i would so buy one. i mite and just carve the hell out of it. my dad's freind worked there as the setup man. he had a body as a coffe table.

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    [​IMG]

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Larrivee Jumbo, Gibson LP, Fender Tele Thinline, respectively.

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Don't practice enough...

[​IMG]

I have no pic of my newest digression yet - a Godin Multiac guitar - but will post that
    as soon as I can borrow a digital camera. (My camera is acting up. :()

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    on a side note Anders, how do you like the Roland Hi-hat? Jury's still out for me, not quite sure if I love it yet. I did play some Hart Ecymbals recently- no thanks! Yuk! Like the Rolands much better for crashes.

7. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Must have vdrums...:bawl:

8. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Well, I'm no drummer so I'm not sure I qualify to answer on the finer details...
    ...it sucks! :D

I occasionally borrow our drummer's real set for a while while waiting for him to
    show up at rehearsal :) and the biggest difference in playing the electronic
    set and the acoustic drum set is the cymbals, the hi-hat in particular. There is
    basically no dynamics in the Roland hi-hat compared to a real hi-hat. Perhaps it
    could be improved with tweaking the sounds, but I doubt it. I only use the V-Drums for
    practicing at home so far and they are fine for that, but I don't think I would accept
    the cymbals/hi-hat for real live playing.

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Funny, I'm using acoustics at home and gigging on the V's! I don't mind the HH too much, but I usually have a spare PD9 with a HH sound on it too, they can be a little more trustworthy. I've pretty much got my HH tweaked out to where it's pretty comfortable now. Still experimenting with various pads to find the perfect one, since the band wants to gig w/ V's exclusively. It does make for decent stage volume. Anyway, sorry to sidetrack, back to the gear show!

10. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Yes, I've been talking to our drummer about trying the V-Drums
    and he is very interested, apart from the image thing I think they have a lot going for
    them in a live situation. I'll have to take them to a rehearsal soon and see what he thinks.

And now, back to the show it is! :)

11. here's my one and only guitar- an Ovation Pinnacle acoustic;

[​IMG]

there's a bit of history attached to it;
    it was used in the filming of 1993 UK film "Wild west" (it had a brief cinema release, and has been shown a couple of times on Channel4. Sting's guitarist Dominic Miller wrote and performed some of the soundtrack music).
    as well as being in music scenes in the film, it can be seen in a photo on the back cover of the video box.

during filming it was dropped and the neck broke off.....the crew proceeded to "fix" it for continued filming by drilling three holes through the fingerboard into the heel block, and....putting woodscrews in it to hold the neck on:eek:
    showing how little they knew about guitars there was even a hole drilled in the middle of the neck- only to meet the obstruction of the trussrod, of course.

I ended up with it and a couple of years ago decided to try and make it playable as something to try guitar ideas on-
    I removed the woodscrews and epoxied the neck on, filling the holes in the fingerboard.
    there were some cracks in the binding and bowlback that needed epoxying too.

the pitch is the same on 2 frets up the top of the neck, but otherwise it just about works.
    the string spacing is too close for my liking, but I can't complain as i got it for free, and there's too much damage for it to be worth repairing properly.

12. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    I have two darbukas. One acoustic earthenware with fish skin, the other snakeskin-wrapped aluminium with remo synthetic skin. a tambourine, and 4 other types of turkish percussion instruments. And a zither.

13. Do you guys perfer your bass over your non-bass?

14. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    :eek: What kind of subversive thinking is that!!!???

Shame on you! Of course we do.

:D

15. Fluke

Fluke

Jul 20, 2002
  16. Here are my two non-bass instruments - the cello I've had since 1979, and a ukulele I've had for a month. Cello was my first instrument. I've played since 1974. Didn't play much for a long period, but last summer I re-immersed myself in music, took up electric bass in September and have been having a blast ever since.

[​IMG]

-Mike

17. No im not, well maybe. I can Drive, change a cd AND drink a mountain dew all at the same time. Top that for Multitalented

18. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I play a Samick classical guitar, Yamaha acoustic guitar (my mom bought it but she never plays it now..),
    a didgeridoo (see my avatar), a kazoo, and a Hohner harmonica..

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    bump.

Troll alert:meh:

20. Maya LP copy, late 70's i think, plays and sounds
    great, but I am totally worthless at guitar...lucky I have a friend who isnt...

[​IMG]