Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

let's see your old hollowbody basses!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGreaser, May 15, 2005.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm putting together a hollowbody bass using an old '67 Fender Coronado body, and will be ordering a neck from Warmoth with a Fender heel, and Gibson headstock. The whole thing with be refinished in white :D So let's see your old hollowbody basses![​IMG]

2. Fred Hammon

Fred Hammon Dark Star pickups

May 13, 2005
    This Les Paul Signature fretless has been sorely abused. It's presently slated for the duel Dark Star treatment.
    This JC Sig bass already has one.

Attached Files:

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Fretless hollowbody=major gas for me...kewl;)

4. snake

snake

Jul 21, 2004
    Aurora. CO
    1969 Teisco, purchased from a Spiegel catalog.

Attached Files:

5. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    1968 Gibson EB-2D, it was in bad shape when I found it (in a shed) so I had it restored and customized, got rid of the dual pickups and put in a quarter pounder, candy apple red paint, fretjob, etc. Put some TI Flats on it and now plays like butta :D

[​IMG]

6. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

that finish is beautiful, really authentic wear and tear.

the binding around the f-holes looks fantastic.

if you cover it you will loose all of the character and will make it look like an epiphone

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

This was my first true love and gas when i started playing, at the time i couldent afford one but i have 2 now :hyper: .One is going up for sale to finance the custom one i am having built on this design. These basses strung up with a good set of flats IE Hofner Pyramid make this a great bass for acoustic gigs and jams.http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15367

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    What the heck is that? Man, the scroll is cool..those tuners are archaic;)

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

They were made under several names including Univox,Aria,Orlando,Apollo.Its a a semi hollow violin bass with 2 humbucker pickups.The bass in the pic is not my bass but it is identical to the one i have.

10. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    If there were a drooling smiley you could choose from at the forum, i would be using a couple of those now, man i love that bass!!! :)

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Yeah, me too, and I bet QP's in that hollowbody are p-h-a-t FAT!

12. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    +Many!
    I had that bass many years ago, but yours is too cool! Someone should take a good look at that and start making them.Great job!!!

13. That bass should win some kind of award for coolness. I have admired it in your avatar in the past. It's nice to finally see the whole thing. Thanks for showing it.

14. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    +1 That seems like a shame. that sunburst is so classic with the white binding.

15. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Nice to see Fred Hammon here. Welcome!

16. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    so I've been rethinking the white refinishing job:p Now I'm going to go with a natural finish, just a clear coat with the white binding in tribute of the old Guild jazz guitars.

17. Here's my '67 Ric 4005...

Attached Files:

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    [​IMG]

Old Kay. Had a Howlin' Wolf that I got for next to nothing and like a dummy I sold it:(

19. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    [​IMG]

My recently acquired Hofner. I feel bad for it. It's never going to be stock again. Haven't had the chance to give it a set up yet, it's still strung lefty. Previous owner upgraded it. Seeing it gave me the same feeling I got seeing a good dog that's obviously been mistreated sitting in a pen in the pound. He wanted side fret markers, so he colored the neck binding with shoe polish at the 3rd, 5th, etc. frets. Not just a dot, colored in the whole fret width of binding. Of course, there are the pickups. It does sound good, but cutting the stock routs out to fit 80's Carvin bass pickups... :eek: The new tuners are put at that nifty angle because otherwise they wouldn't fit in the case.

I'd like to help it regain a semblance of a normal life, but the owner (of course) lost the original pickups after removing them, not that they would fit anymore. Ditto the tuners. :crying: