Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Let's share some Indie Rock

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Apr 13, 2003.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    So what kind of Indie rock has everyone been listening to lately? I haven't been keeping up with the "scene" as it were, so I need some new bands to listen to.

I did, however, pick up the Coheed and Cambria CD, and, I have to say, it's pretty rockin'. I also got the Taking Back Sunday CD, which is pretty decent, but I haven't heard it much lately.

Finally, everybody should buy "Give Up" by the Postal Service. Awesome album.

2. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Wow. Lots of bands I can't even think of right now. I love Indie rock. Been listening to a lot of Death Cab For Cutie lately. And Pavement is my favorite Indie band. I wish they were still around and didn't go their separate ways. :(

3. The Dismemberment Plan (soon to be R.I.P. :( )
    The Sea and Cake (need to pick up One Bedroom soon)
    Low
    McLusky
    Fugazi
    Interpol

4. i've been listening to:

Mission of Burma (way overdue on that band)
    the new Flaming Lips EP
    the new Malkmus album
    the Yeah Yeah Yeahs full-length "Fever to Tell"

oh, and my band recently opened for the Plan. check out my thread in misc :D

5. The Lips aren't indie anymore. ;) :p (Yes, I know.)

What do Mission of Burma sound like, anyway?

6. they actually remind me of the clash a lot. i would describe them as very listener-friendly, organic punk. i dunno how accurate that is but i bet you'd like them. check out the song "academy fight song."

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Fugazi? Never heard of 'em. ;)

I'll have to check out Dismemberment Plan- with all I hear about them, they have to be pretty good.

I picked up the Taking Back Sunday album, and it roxors me boxors. I don't know if they're still "indie" anymore, though. Not that I care. :cool:

All other suggestions will be considered.

8. Cave In's new album is great. I'm not sure it's strictly indie though, what do other people think?

9. oooooooh, what's that one like?

I've been listening to a lot of Low lately as well, I love the vocals (the harmonies) so much.

Bass87 - I think that album is ace, but it's more metal than indie....

You Americans must have a different definition of indie from us over Britishers - here, it's a well defined, lighter style, Super Furry Animals and Belle & Sebastien (..tian?) being the best examples I can think of. Bands like Fugazi are not considered indie at all, over here.

10. That's because you Brits are, well, pansies. :D

A band like Pulp couldn't even be formed in New York, let alone in Chicago or Austin. :p

11. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    i got the 'slow century' dvd this week...such a great band.

:(

death cab - yep !

also

preston school of industry
    radar brothers
    mogwai

:bassist:

12. Yo, are you Ah Pook from Stylus, by any chance?

13. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    :confused:

14. it's really superb. i was disappointed by their last EP, starting to think they were kind of one-dimensional, but IMO this is their best yet.

has it been released yet? i forget. :bag:

15. have you heard SM's solo albums? you'll like them if you dig later pavement stuff.

16. I'll take that as a no.

17. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    basically what I've been listening too lately, is Cave In, Pie Bald, 7 days of samsara, Thursday, The Marz Volta, Hot Cross, Saeita, After School Knife Fight, At the Drive In, Sparta, and other variouse hardcore emo/emocore, screamo, and indie bands.

excruciatingly long sig: removed. please change it, it's annoying when a sig forces one to scroll. bad netiquette.

-dance

18. What's that supposed to mean?

:confused: :confused:

19. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    Saetia... I like your taste in music... and your user name....

IM me and we can talk about screamo and stuff... I might be able to introduce you to some more stuff.. and vice versa.

My favorite Indie Bands are current Since By Man, Form of Rocket, and Witchcraft By A Picture

20. While we certainly have twee, artsy-fartsy types in the States, I think England's the world champion in that department.

It's probably a bad thing, but whenever I think about 20-something British males, the image of Jarvis Cocker pops into my head. (Never mind that he's well into his 40s now.)