Lets talk about casters

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Apr 24, 2005.

1. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Hey, i have a avatar 2x10 and i want to get some casters or something to make it easier to move, its not overly heavey or anything, its just that it would be nice. Tonight at the show i just slid it across the ground in the club, probally not the best for the floor, but i couldnt lift it too many people where around.

Im gunna go tomorrow to a hardware store and look at casters. Any suggestions, i know people say to use pop out casters so you can get better floor contact, but what if you put casters on the side of the amp? And rolled it in then put it on its side and played? Would that work? Would an Ace or Home depot have casters? Or where should i look?

Any tips on putting them on or any other things i should look at, besides a hand truck. Unless its an all wooden one that i make myself to tot my cab around. Because then i wont damage the cab and i can take the cart where ever i want.
  2. Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    Pop out casters are pretty sweet, but you have to drill into the cabinet so the mounting hardware works. Alot of players put the casters on the side of the cabinets then tilt the cab rightside up at the show. Of course, the 2x10 is only, like, 16" on it's side and it's about 24" tall, so it might just tip over when pushing it along (especially if you catch on a rock or door jamb!) Usually, you would put the wheels on the side of a more square cab like a 4x10 or something. Some people use (or build) a small furniture cart. Get some 3/4" plywood and cut it to the size of the cabinets' footprint then attach wheels to the plywood. You can then use moving straps or bungee cords to hold the cab onto the the cart while moving it and take the cart off when on stage. Just some suggestions to throw at you, hope these help. I believe there are whole threads on the effects of using casters on stage vs. not using them. Do a search and see if your opinion is swayed by others experiences with the sound.
  3. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    That is a very common option

Yes, they should have quite a large selection
    I got this thing from Carvin that I'm very happy with:
  4. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
  5. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I'm for a separate dolly. If you crash your cabinet into a curb or hit a cobble stone or rut with pop out or screw on casters you can do damage to your cab. (and then sawdust starts pouring out). See if you can get some corners that match your cabs corners so it will sort of lock on. But you know carpet is all you need. On piano dollys we would use a welcome mat. The nubs would grip incredibly when there was weight on them. Vintage Ampegs had very useful dollys even SVTs.
  6. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    anyone got plans or tips for making a hand cart out of wood, casters and probally some grip tape?
  7. I use pop out castors and a hand cart. I used to have an old hartke that I put Ernie Ball Removable castors in. Those definately made my life easier. My new GK Neo came with removable castors, which are also nice. For everything else I used a collaspable hand truck I got from lowes.
  8. Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    My old hand dolly just bit the dust, so I ran out to Lowe's and got another. It was all of $14 (before tax) and works on everything I have not just one cabinet. I don't see the point for spring for a high dollar hand truck for my situation. I'll just buy another cheapie in a couple of years when I've destroyed this one as well.