1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Let's talk about Hernias.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by project_c, Dec 22, 2016.

1. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    So I think I may have a hernia. If you've had one or currently have one, tell me about it. Sorry about the gross subject.

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    These things are not exactly one size fits all. Listen to your doctor.

Funky Ghost, MTN.bass72 and bholder like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    In an effort to keep the mood light, as well as commiserating, and because, well, someone has to eventually:

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Yeah, I was gonna answer "let's not", but dude sounds like he's not in the mood for harsh humor. You caught the mood.

5. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Weak spot tears, eventually it can allow your intestines to wind up in your scrotal area. There are supports to prevent this but in long term use, they tend to cause inflammation of the sciatic nerve b/c their elastic bands keep a lot of pressure across those in your buttocks area. Then there are supports for the scrotal area. Current research/AMA/medical folks indicate that "just live with it" and "keep an eye on it" is the best/safest course of action. IF "entanglement" happens(intestines and testicle connection get tangled up), then one most likely will have to have surgery.

Current methods of treatment:
    Mesh patches: cut you open, put a piece of plastic screen in the torn area, sew you up, hope it holds and doesn't degrade or fall apart and scatter plastic inside of you OR pass infection into you lower gut. Google "mesh repair problems", there are many with some appearance of....let's call it...maybe some of the stuff should not have been approved by the FDA. Plastic patches are brought over from a much smaller repair procedure down on women's lower parts. I have two friends with mesh repairs. One has severe pains that come and go from a disintegrated mesh. Removing all of the tiny pieces is next to impossible from what I found in research.

Direct surgery: sew the tear together. This usually fails over time. There seems to be one doctor who has a very high success rate with these but uses non-standard methods of sewing the tear together IIRC.

There are a few people who get either of the above repairs and do fine but I've not met any of them. I have met a surgeon who opened a "hernia center" because it is more profitable and I believe they are legally protected if using "approved procedures" and "approved mesh" that later fails.

@project_c if you get intense, tearing & burning pain in the front lower part of your groin when standing up, trying to lift something, etc. then you probably have one. If this lasts more than 6 months, it's permanent. <<<< That's what I started telling myself after I hit 50 eleven years ago if an affliction won't go away(arthritis, torn rotator cuffs, busted should that took 10 months to feel better).
    Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  6. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK

Wow, that's all terrifying. My 'affected area' is not as far south as that, so i'm hoping that whole region will be unaffected.

7. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    Hmmm, I've had the patch for many years with no problems whatsoever...

8. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    Yep, had inguinal hernia surgery back in 2011...i wouldn't wish the pain I experienced on my worst enemy.. I wrote the pain I was experiencing off as just work related... bad move on my part
    If you're to the point of being concerned, don't hesitate, visit your doctor NOW..

9. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Umbilical surgery for me about 12 years ago.

If you're at the turkey baster point where your belly button is popping out you need to go now. It is quite dangerous, up to and including fatal if left for too long that way. That is intestine poking out and it can get pinched and begin to rot. Do not chance it.

I had a kevlar sheet attached over my belly button anchored at four points inside. The actual incision was in my belly button and quite small. You can't tell I had surgery at all. They rolled the kevlar up, inserted it through the small hole they made, and did all the stitching through that hole too. I think it took 2 hours? It's been awhile.

Every once in a while I get a burning feeling around where I'd imagine the anchor points are. I'm not sure if it isn't psychosomatic though. Other than that I've exercised, worked, did husbandly (sic) things and lived normally really.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  10. 8 or so years ago did the mesh fix, after a few months I have forgotten all about it. Now Johnny Crab has me felling sympathetic pain. :rage:
    Go get it fixed now. Let it heal properly, and slowly increase your strength then you will be back to lifting 300+lbs again.

BboogieXVII and Funky Ghost like this.
  11. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Thanks for the replies, mine is in a less usual spot, it's about 2 inches above the belly button. There's been an occasional barely noticeable thing there for as long as I can remember but no pain until recently. There's not much visual indication, perhaps a bit of a lump sometimes but nothing visibly gross or scary. If i lie on my back and push down on that area i can make it go away, which is what made me think it must be a hernia. Anyway looks like i'll have to live with it until after the holidays, doctors aren't around much over the festive season in the u.k. but i'll get it seen as soon as i can.

Hope i don't rot until then!!

12. I had my hernia repair done at Shouldice Hospital. Www.shouldice.com. No problems is 20+ years. My brother, had his repair via arthroscopic at the local hospital and re-tore it twice. Check the Shouldice website, lots of good info to read.

My hernia was low and caused a lot of pain when I played sports. Glad I had the surgery.

13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I have a hernia above my navel for about 20 years. I had one doctor tell me that I'll still have it, and it will still look/feel the same when I'm 90 (should I be fortunate enough to get there), and I had another doctor completely disagree with the first doctor. I'll go to the 3rd doctor should I ever encounter any pain or other problems with it.

14. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I had one bulging into the left side of my "sack". The pain was very minor.
    I had mesh surgery. The recovery was the worst pain ever. Said sack swole up like a softball and was red & ouchy beyond words.
    2 weeks on my back...

In doctor in this video (at 0:30) looks like Entwhistle.

15. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    I've had two hernia surgeries (dang, that makes me sound old...). About 20 years ago, my elderly uncle gave me a nice old Craftsman drill press that weighed a ton and when lifting it up the basement stairs, I felt a horrible tearing sensation about three inches to the left of my junk. I had the mesh surgery and have been fine since, with the exception of some strange sensations on the inside of my thigh from a cut nerve (I assume).

About eight years ago, I started having minor pain around my navel and felt a bulge. The doctor said I needed to get it repaired, so had a surgery similar to one Funky Ghost described above. I have a small scar below my navel, which looks different than it did before, but no problems. I experienced pretty severe pain for a day or two after both surgeries, but it was no big deal and both healed quickly.

16. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I had a lower left abdomen/groin hernia that felt like somebody was sticking a hot knife in me. I got it from lifting my bass cabinet wrong. I thought I had a groin pull until it started to pop out and the pain got worse. I went to a urologist who said if I did not have surgery, it could kill me. Not exactly something you think about hernias; but, mine was severe. I scheduled surgery and, originally, the doctor thought he could do it laparoscopically with a small incision. As my luck would have it, my hernia was much worse than thought and the doctor ended up slicing me open, putting a mesh screen in me, and sealing me up with 14 metal staples.

After a few hours in recovery, I was sent home the same day and the pain was really bad. I was told not to lift anything over 10 pounds for at least 6 weeks. My bass weighs 9 pounds and I did play a gig 10 days after surgery but I could not even tap my foot for the pain. I had on and off again pain for about 6 months as my body was growing around the mesh screen.

The good news is that my hernia surgery was successful. I do not want another one and many people have different experiences depending on the type and severity of the hernia. I am very careful when lifting things.

My advice is see a doctor. You do not want to live with a hernia the rest of your life if it's fixable. If you have the surgery, get a tube of Mederma cream to put on the incision scar after the stitches, staples, whatever are removed. It definitely helps with limiting a surgery scar appearance.

17. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    I have a hiatus hernia ( above stomach ). I feel some pressure or maybe a bloated feeling when I lie on my right side. Other than thiat, I don't have any symptoms at this time (hopefully never!).

18. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I thought this was going to be a thread about Ampeg 8x10 cabs.

19. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    I had an umbilical hernia i aquired from coughing too hard back when i smoked. It started as a small bulge in my navel and a few years later was about half the size of my fist. I could push my guts back through the hole but it was painful and became more annoyance than i wanted to deal with so i had it repaired. I got the combo (mesh and stitches) and after eight years or so it's still all good.

project_c likes this.
  20. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Almost 10 years ago my L4/L5 & L5/S1 were so bad that I couldn't lay down, sit or stand without being in unbearable pain. Good days meant that either my legs felt like they were on fire, wearing concrete shoes or pins and needles. After numerous doctors, physical therapists, x-rays, MRIs and pain killers that did nothing, I was told that it was inoperable since the bulging discs were pressing against the spinal cord. To add insult to injury, my ex-employer made my life even worse by putting a ton of undue stress on my because other employees said I was faking it.

After 3 years of pain and BS, I said "F... It" and let go of all the stress. That was the right choice because the pain dropped a notch and I started to push myself to start doing the little things that nobody things about. It took a few months but my chronic pain went down from a 10 to a 5.