lets talk about high end Ibanez basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Lately I have been gassing bad for some higher end ibanez basses. Like the 1300 and 990 ones with 5 peice necks and mahogany bodies and emg p/j. I never liked ibanez basses and thought most were crap till i played an ex girlfriends older Ibanez 800 and was blown away by its fast neck and really good tone.I owned other sound gears and were nothing like this.So i see these nice exotic wooden ones on ebay and wonder if people have any opinions on them and experince. I no some of them have dual truss rods and steel reinforced necks.
  2. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I`ve played an Ibanez Prestige SR900 some months ago and really liked it. Nice ergonomic body (similar to Spector), well built, confortable to play and electronics with Barts MK1 gave it a wide tonal variety.

They were a bit expensive and there are many other options in their price range, but are worth checking them.
  3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    men i love those Ibanez,they look very nice made and the sound with this specs,can,t go wrong.,let my show my favorite
  4. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    I absolutely love the SR900s. They sound nice, and the body shape is to die for.
  5. pommes

Jun 13, 2005
    I played the BTB 1205 about two weeks ago. I was not too impressed. Maybe because of the setup, but it just didn't hit me.
    I could not get a decent warm bass tone out of it.

Sth I have to add: I am more of a basic player. I do not like active electronics and I usually do not like >4 string basses, I just wanted to test the handling. And that was very good. Nice touch, broad but still fast enough neck, wide string spacing (for a 5), well balanced. The tone was just not mine.
  6. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    ive been looking at 6 string ibanez basses the BTB1206E and the SR1006E and one thats got a smaller body a Prestige is what it said(kinda like the K5 body http://www.basspalace.com/dynamic/displaybass/MultiStringBass/3750 i think this is the one) anyways they are the top ibanez's availabe. I would like to know what are the thoughts on these basses? Are they worth buying do they last will i be able to get what i want out of them? i have played them and i like the feel so its not a question of playablity i was fine on them its a question of the quality.

also is it true the japanesse ibanez's are better made? I donno where else they are manufactured but ive heard this said before and i wonder if its true?
  7. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've tried the SR900 a couple of times. One was amber and the other was a gorgeous see-thru black flame job. Wow! The instrument screamed quality. I thought the only Ibanez basses I'd ever consider would be the higher end BTBs but this level of SR bass changed my mind. It so solid, easy to play, tonally versatile and powerful. Yes, I love this bass and I'm dying to try one out in a 5 string format. If you think you know Ibanez and figured "ho hum...," well you haven't tried the SR900/9005.

8. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I got lost a while back trying to figure out the Ibanez line-up ... too many basses, way too confusing :confused:

I used an SRX505 for about 2 years that was a bazooka, man that thing was loud and powerfully punchy, but that was all it could do. The bass had absolutely no finesse whatsoever.

These newer series BTB's and SR's do seem very nice though, might be worth a good hard run-through to see how they play. But like Papersen said above, lots of competition in those price ranges ..........
  9. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Basically the SRs and SRXs are cut from the same cloth but sure enough, there is a significant bit of a difference between them. I’d say marketing-wise, the SRs are all purpose axes where as the SRX are built for (forgive me) extreme output and aggression. Those little humbuckers are killer and will not be ignored. It’s all a matter of taste because I've read reviews where one complains the SR was too tame and another complains the SRX is too in yr face. I'm more in the SR camp (I just raved about the SR 900 on this thread). I figure if I wanted uber-output out of an SR bass, hell, I'll turn up the damn volume or hop on my bass overdrive. But if punk or heavy music in general was all I did and wanted to do; then I’d likely get a SRX.
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm plenty happy with my SR400, but I got a good one. Played SR645 and a pair of SR800's for a while before switching to Fender. Their quality is top notch, I just found that I needed something a bit more passive than Ibanez. Now, I'm gassing for an SR506.
  11. Right now Im gassing for a SR1005 and a Warwick Thumb Bolt on 5. I havent played the SR, but the warwick is really good(ofcourse, its Warwick). I've played the SR 905, And really liked it, But I like the woods of the 1005 better, I dunno im torn...
  12. freakbass

freakbass "Pile-drivingly Heavy" since 1983

I toured for two years with a couple of SR1305's. Awesome basses, super-fast necks, and, If you can find one, they're not too hard on the wallet.
  13. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Which SR1005 do you mean? There are two models. Both have a natural finish (oil?). But one is flame maple on top of maple body and the other is walnut on top of mahogany body. I'd think the flame maple version will tonally be very similar to the SR 905 which also has an all maple body with flame top (the difference being the SR905 has a lacquer finish). The walnut/mahogany combo may have the same measurements and hardware but likely not be nearly as bright as the maple one. Either model is going to be killer, so I guess it’s a matter of personal taste.

14. Oh, Forgot I didnt mention that, I like the look of the Walnut/mahogany more than the Flamed maple. I dont, Maybe the Sam Ash in Manhattan will have all three in there one day so I can compare, But I tell you, That Thumb is giving the 905 and the others, Looks wise, A run fot their money. But the Ibanez are like , 400 bucks less. I dunno, It will come down to what plays best in this case. If I do get one of these fivers a plan on tuning to DADGC and maybe guying some hipshots, so I can also go to DADAD and EADGC.
  15. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there talk a year or so back about Ibanez moving production of its Prestige line from their Japanese factory to their Korean factory? I'm sure a Japanese made Ibanez is good, but if it is true that the Prestige line is moving from the Japan factory to the Korea factory and they're charging Japanese Ibanez prices, then that's a little shady.

Would I buy an Ibanez Prestige new? No. There are plenty of better axes for the money; perhaps even custom/handmade like LeCompte or JJ Helms. But if it can be found used on the cheap, then it's worth considering.
  16. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I recently bought an Ibanez GWB1, and it is totally an awesome bass! Bartolini electronic, ebony board, lightweight ash body, it is something to die for! Is is an easy player, and the tone is awesome! Dark and growly are the words to describe. And the mmmmwah is there! Absolutely the best fretless bass that I have ever played. I have also a Sadowsky MS5, and they are an excellent couple.
  17. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Well let's be fair, the Warwick is a highend axe. The highend Ibanez SRs (SR900s and up) are basically the working person's Warwick/Spector. Naturally the Warwick is going to be more happening and if its only a few hundred more and you dig it; then get it! I think the Ibanez' are great but you have to go with what inspires you.

18. well, Im using an Ibanez SR 3000e (which was given to me) for a year now and it hasn't let me down. Sometimes is just use a DI and plug right into the mixer. Construction wise, Im using a Japan made Ibanez and so far, compared to the other Ibanez Basses I've had the opportunity to play on, the Japanese made Ibanez basses are the best of the lot.

My Ibanez (fondly called Vanessa) gets punished during performances. I love sheehan's combination of visuals and showmanship and how he integrates that into his playing so I try to emulate someof his more visually stimulating antics... i play regularly and Vanessa has been the only bass i've been using for a year now. The neck is still okay, the tuners are good. the bridge is still tuned properly. I must admit that the gold coloring is coming of the monorails through, but I find that it adds to a more appealing distressed look hehe.... :bassist:

I was wondering, arethere are any american made Ibanez basses?
  19. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Nope. Ibanez used to have a US based custom shop back in the mid 1990s, but not any more.