1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Let's talk about jazz.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by twinjet, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    This is the version I have listened to the most in the past 15 years or as Brian came to town pretty frequently to our local place, Night Town.

Bass Viking, RNG1 and Old P Bass Guy like this.
  2. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    Great GROOVE! Luv B3's. Awsome!

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Check out Steve Nelson with The Dave Holland Quintet. Great band that can go in & out with ease.
    Can't go wrong with Chris Potter & Robin Eubanks in your band. Drummer Nate Smith is top-notch, too.

Joshua and Jborg like this.
  4. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux

Apr 11, 2018
    Somewhere, buried in my vinyl collection, are two Dave Holland solo albums -- as in, no other musicians on them. :D One is "Emerald Tears" (solo bass) and the other is "Life Cycle" (solo cello). Pretty intense stuff.

JimK and Jborg like this.
  5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Both of those are great!

6. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Going to see Jazzmeia Horn tomorrow evening. Her album "A Social Call" was nominated for the 2018 Best Jazz Vocal Album Grammy® Award. This will be the second time I've seen her perform live, and her backing band for this event will be amazing. Really looking forward to it.

7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Once again, you guys have inspired me. I looked up the top 10 jazz standards, found notation/charts, and will listen to them, via YouTube...

... one of my resolutions is to delve into other genres (slowly mind you), and I'm sure I will learn from doing so.

Here's what came up in the search:

1. Body and Soul

2. Darn That Dream

3. Misty

4. My One and Only Love

5. Polka Dots and Moonbeams

6. Peace

7. Blue In Green

8. Prelude to a Kiss

9. In a Sentimental Mood

10. Skylark

Thanks, @twinjet!

12BitSlab and twinjet like this.
  8. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship?

Sep 23, 2008
    Found this absolute gem of a tune by Masaru Imada on the album Blue Marine. Anthony Jackson on bass!! Street Dancer is a lively, happy Latin tune that grooves too damn hard, even for a Friday night.

9. RNG1

RNG1 Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2015
    What a great performance. Love the way that drummer and bass player feel together. Thanks fir sharing.

10. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    I hope I'm not stealing this thread but I thought this article was very educational for Jazz bassists. Hope you enjoy.

The 50 Best Jazz Bassists Of All Time

The 50 Best Jazz Bassists Of All Time

11. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    You could take only these ten tunes, and studying them would last the rest of your life in the best way.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  12. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    You covered a lot of ground there J Bass!

J_Bass likes this.
  13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm going to give them a good listen, first... I started with 'Body and Soul'. The charts I have are strictly chords and treble clef, so for the most part, I'll be using my ear to pick out the bass lines...

... depending on the recording, I think it's harder hearing which notes are being played, when the bassist is using an AUB, or fretless... if it helps me as a bassist, no matter the genre, I'm all for it!

14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Part of the fun of playing these tunes is there is no specific bassline. Take five recordings with the same bassist, and you will find, especially during the solos, a different bass line each recording (and each verse). While I don't listen to as much jazz as I should, it's the main reason I enjoy playing it. You can change the line, the rhythm/feel, and other things as often as the band will follow.

12BitSlab and Spidey2112 like this.
  15. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    You will find that most jazz charts are just that -- chords and the melody line. Most people refer to them as "head arrangements". That is what jazz so much fun to play -- at least for me. You play what you want and what you play varies with what the other players are doing. One song never sounds the same - it's always a new take on a familiar theme.

RNG1 and Spidey2112 like this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I think I used to be better at improvising, so if I improve in that area now, it'll all be good.

"... it's always a new take on a familiar theme." Keeps it fresh, right?

12BitSlab likes this.
  17. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Yes, those are my favorites, but I listen to a lot more!

18. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    I'm s
    Surprised that this attached article received no comment. I thought surely the ranking would raise some comment and eyebrows!

J_Bass likes this.
  19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Well...I recall a Carl Radle feature in an old Guitar Player magazine.
    In it, Radle mentioned how one magazine (Playboy) had him rated as the 3rd Best Bassist in Jazz. IIRC, Ray Brown was #2 & Mingus was #4. Radle said he had visions where Mingus was calling up Ray Brown & asking how the Hell is this guy?

It's a stoopid Poll...I love Jaco to death but he should not be #1.

Good enuff?
    :)

20. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal

Where to start??

This lists are always subjective and tend to reflect the tastes of the author. I agree with the number one, though. As for the rest of the list, not so much.

What is there to say to a list that in the 50 (!) top jazz bassists doesn't include Anthony Jackson?? Atrocious.

Miller in 44? Ridiculous.