1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Let's talk about jazz.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by twinjet, Feb 11, 2018.

1. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    OK...you sold me.
    $2.81 at Amazon for the Disc & the Auto-Rip.

2. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship?

Sep 23, 2008
    New stuff today. Traded in a few CDs for this new batch.

Keiko Matsui wasn't bad. It's like smooth jazz/easy listening.

Patricia Kaas is good stuff so far, but I'm having problems with the disc.

Glenn Miller I'm sure will be good.

3. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Bumping this up. Here are a couple of Youtube channels with a variety of recorded live jazz concerts from over the years.

Jazz³+

Jazz|ᴳᴿᴱᴱᴺ

Enjoy

JimK and 12BitSlab like this.
  4. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Here are a few bass oriented cuts

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006

nbsipics and Old P Bass Guy like this.
  6. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship?

Sep 23, 2008
    I watched an episode of Star Trek: Deep Space 9 tonight, a jazz-laden episode called "His Way". In it, a lovestruck Constable enlists the help of a hologram, singer and frontman Vic Fontaine (James Darren), to help learn the ways to a woman's heart.

The episode features three great tunes:
    Come Fly With Me

Fever

The Way You Look Tonight
    (Unable to locate specific clip)

I enjoyed the episode immensely both for ST fanboy reasons and for jazzman reasons. Sure is great when tunes you know are featured!

JimK and 12BitSlab like this.
  7. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Just because I'm a dumbass rock'n'roll bass player doesn't mean I don't listen to the masters. In two hours, I'm going to the Village Vanguard to see/hear Barry Harris. He's 88 this year, a year for every key, I guess...

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Good for you...

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006

JimK, Bunk McNulty and buldog5151bass like this.
  10. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    It was. He played some Ellington, some Mingus, asked the audience to come up with some numbers and found a melody for a 3-7-5 progression and, contrary to all my expectations, anyway, got a crowd to sing along, clap off the beat, and various other amazing feats. Including kicking away his cane and walking across the stage on his own two feet to the piano, which got him a big round of applause at the beginning of his set and again at the end.

Of course what it was really all about was getting a huge amount of music and musical feeling out of a piano/bass/drums trio. They weren't just tight; they were accurate. This is what I love about this music: On the one hand, they were almost casual in their approach, and yet almost every note sounded like it had been carved in stone. If that makes any sense. Leroy Williams has been playing drums with Harris for 50 years; Bassist Calvin Hill has been on and off with Harris since the mid-50s. The interplay between these guys is telepathic.

And, believe it or not, this relates to my job playing in a bar band. It's all about constant communication; we look at each other. It's the thing that disturbs me the most when I sit in on an open mic or jam: when nobody looks up, there's no chance of doing that.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    JimK and ahc like this.
  11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I don't have a lot of stuff with Calvin Hill...this one, though, blows me away-

Alphonse Mouzon on drums, Sonny Fortune on sax.
    "Rebirth" is an apt title

12BitSlab and Jborg like this.
  12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Erskine's Dr. Um Band gets little attention around here...Ben Shepherd gets no love, either.

Old P Bass Guy and 12BitSlab like this.
  13. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    WOW!

IamGroot likes this.
  14. Karlson541

Karlson541

Jun 9, 2018
    This is amazing:

Jborg and JimK like this.
  15. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    That first bassline on Man With The Horn is awesome! Marcus was the one who talked Miles out of retirement. MIles holed up in his NYC apartment, took drugs and forgot to take the garbage out for several years.

JimK likes this.
  16. Jborg

Jborg

Feb 1, 2018
    Long Island, NY
    Love deez guys

Old P Bass Guy likes this.