1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Let's talk about my rack. Yeah, it's size D.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chronicle, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Haha. Well anyways, my rack right now is in need of some help. I have a GK2001, Aphex 204, and a Furman M-8L in there right now.

I plan on getting a transparent compressor. I liked the BBE optostomp so something like that. I read some of the dbx's and they are supposed to range from transparent to added attack. I need transparent for my Rick as a over compressed Rick is not going to work ;)

I also plan on getting a rack tuner. I know of the Korgs but if someone wants to point me in another direction...

I am going to a/b the BBE sonicstomp Rackmount between the Aphex 204 and see which effect i like better. Which BBE model should i grab?

And finally i'm going to get a Monster power center and better(and maybe smaller) rack case for this bad ass of a rack.

Price shouldn't be too out of control. Shouldn't be higher than 500$/item...well...i do have a discount on my side :D

2. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I had the BBE rack compressor for a while. It worked very nice/great compressor, but I did not like the sonic maximizer. It killed the mids.

3. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Oh yeah, i forgot the BBE MaxCom...

It did? Hm, the 204 is basically an EQ sustainer. It's pretty cool but I'm not too sure if I like it. It does add a little more low end though.

edit:
    Oh wow, the Maxcom comes with a sonic max. option too lol

4. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Can you explain why the ******* at my local GC won't let me try a Whammy and English Muff'n on bass because they're guitar pedals? :mad:

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Because he doesn't want to sell anything?

6. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Because he's

a) a noob
    b) afraid of you blowing the speaker somehow. Just tell him you know what you're doing and will keep the volume down.

But stay on topic please ;)

7. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Sorry. :bag:

8. crimson_basser

crimson_basser

Jul 9, 2008
    Montreal
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    HAHAHA thats funny, when i walk into my music stores and asked about pedals, the FIRST thing they showed me was guitar pedals

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You kids are so spoiled...back in my day, ALL effects were guitar effects. We used to have to think of creative ways to blend them with a clean signal because they'd wash out all the low end. Nowadays it's all done for you.

10. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Yep. It was pretty nice with the sonic maximizer off. To me the SM scooped the mids and boosted the higs and lows. I never tried it in a loud volume setting though, only basement, rehersal, small gig, nothing through a PA type of setting.

I have played through a 204 before though. It sounded nice, but it was set to be almost transparent.

As for filling your rack, way over the top, but your rick has stereo outputs right? Run a splitter and have the bottom (or top) go through effects, and the other clean.

11. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    yes yes, and i'm sure you had to walk through 10 feet of snow, up hill both ways to get to a music store as well :D

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Actually, until I was 12, there was a music store up the street. But they didn't have the good stuff.

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Chronicle if you think you have problems I've just got a 14u shock mounted rack and only got 5u of stuff to put in it :eek:

14. This thread is deteriorating rapidly....

15. Back on topic:

Check out Bongomania's compressor thread reviews - lot's of good info there. Some are stomp boxes, some are rack units.

http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml

For tuners, I have always had pretty good luck with Sabines.

For racks, Road Ready makes good ones.

16. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    What about the Peavey Kosmos as an alternative to the Aphex and BBE.

I agree that the BBE effect scoops the mids slightly. It's the classic "smiley face" graphic eq setting. I liked the 482 when I had it in my rack, but I think the piece is unecessary with properly engineered gear.

As for rack compression, why not try one of the DBX160A units. They're extremely flexible, fairly transparent, and rock-solid. And they look cool! Bongo recommends the x over the a, though...

The Monster Power Pro 2500, or even 900 would be a great addition to your rig as well.

Killer rack:
    GK2001 (3 space)
    DBX160A (1 space)
    Monster Power Pro 2500 (1 space)

This rig is professional quality and would last many years, IMHO.

17. Mr. Pickles

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I forgot the tuner, But I don't have any experience with rack tuners. I'd love to try out the Pitchblack or a Peterson StroboStomp...

18. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    No pedals. The board is full.

19. Mr. Pickles

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I've had "great success" with the FMR units. The RNC was fairly transparent in supernice mode. The RNLA imparted a nice vintage tonal color to the bass. Both also have a neat TRS I/O for patching via Y-cables. There's a dedicated rack mount as well. Check Mercenary Audio for this. Power is on a wall wart, which may be a PIA, but their small size, price/quality more than make up for it.

20. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Why did you sell the Opto Stomp?