let's talk about picks, baby

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by knumbskull, Feb 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    we've talked about them before, but not here in the nice new shiny Accessories forum!

What do you like and why?

I like these:

21GniQdRFTL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Dunlop Tortex large .73mm - nice and big surface area to hold on to, grippy texture, stiff enough to do the work but with just enough flex to be comfortable.

2. I'm not much of a pick player, but my favorite so far have been Dunlop gator grip 1.14mm. They're about a dollar a pop here though.
    41%2BG3R6LE9L._SY355_.jpg

Attached Files:

BasturdBlaster, ONYX and knumbskull like this.
  3. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    I don't play bass with a pick very often, maybe 10% of the time, but this is my first choice:

vendorimagesB0002GX7ZM_img1._CB353073079_.jpg

4. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    The green Micks Picks. They are some kind of synthetic polymer and for me, they're the perfect flexibility for sound and playability. The felt ones that come in the pack I don't use, they sound great but the felt goes everywhere including getting stuck in the strings.

knumbskull likes this.
  5. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    1.14s in the lead so far :D

I've never tried felt picks, always was curious. not sure i like the sound of felt-y strings though.

6. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    +1, but I like the felt ones, too.

I originally got a package of Mick's Picks for the felt picks. As I am mainly a pick player, I wanted something to give me a softer attack, similar to finger style. But I really like the green polymer ones, too, because they give me the same feel (i.e. pick thicknesses) as the felt pick, with a harder attack, but not as hard of an attack as a "standard" guitar pick (for me "standard" is a Fender medium).

knumbskull likes this.
  7. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I mainly play with fingers( or thumb), but I've used Dunlop felt picks a bit.
    Recently I also started using leather ones and really like them.

Timber-Tones-Bass-Guitar-Tin-of-4-Guitar-Picks-[1]-2022-p.jpg

8. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I had not used a picks in...um...forty years, but recently bought a 6 string bass, and I'm kind of enjoying playing with a pick. Dunlop Tortex purple 1.14 mm

gebass6 and knumbskull like this.
  9. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    I may have to try those. How durable are they?

That's my only complaint about the Mick's felts: they wear out. Not too terribly quickly, but they do wear.

knumbskull likes this.
  10. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    e1e267de-8a88-47c0-b6bc-ecc21e249d47.jpg._CB322177724__SR285,285_.jpg

I had two of these. 1.4mm

Gave one to a buddy and I lost mine. They are actually mandolin picks.

I've got to get a couple more of them.

11. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    It's too soon for me to tell, honestly.
    I got them months ago, but hand pain has seriously reduced my playing time.
    I would be fairly sure heavy constant play would wear them down pretty quick though...but certainly not as quickly as the felt ones.

knumbskull likes this.
  12. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I've been aiming to reacquaint my fingers with the use of a pick and have been going through several. I used to use the thick 2.0mm Tortex purple ones that have nice rounded edges. Lately the Wedgies, with a nice thumb dimple, have seemed promising (not the rubber ones, though; they grab on the strings too much for my taste).
    IMG_0764.JPG

I was hoping to like the Telefunken graphite picks. I was given a sample pack by the president of Telefunken a few years ago at the AES convention, where he told me that they had exactly reverse-engineered the old Adamas graphite picks that are so beloved by Deadheads and lovers of all things Jerry. He claims they took the time and got the formulation exactly right (and that Dunlop didn't). That being said, the jury's still out on how I like them. (It probably doesn't help that I don't wear tie-dye.)

IMG_0765.JPG

Another interesting pick I tried was a clear V-Tech that, despite being quite smooth, seemed to stick well to my fingers. (Then again, I wasn't sweating at the time.) Then I dropped it on the floor and haven't found it since. :meh:

13. The best pick ever...Dunlop Tortex Light .50mm (red) Jazz III shape. I swear by these and have a bulk bag of them.

Everything about these picks are perfect, the shape, the grip, the flex/give, and the sound they produce. Love 'em.

23473504023.MAIN.jpg

Mvilmany and knumbskull like this.
  14. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    110096000438205-00-500x500.jpg

My weapon of choice are the Dunlop Big Stubbies in 2.0mm. Anything thinner and I might as well hold a sheet of paper, I don't like picks to be flexible. Their indent makes them really easy to not lose them, lol.

knumbskull likes this.
  15. I've used felt and rubber picks, but leather??!?! I gotta pick one of these up to try!

16. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Interesting. Picks made of flesh to sound more like playing with your fingers I'm guessing? Makes sense.
    Do they wear out quickly? I know that will depend on how you play and what kind of strings, but compared to other materials?

I very rarely use picks on bass. Only occasionally in the studio, really. I can't remember ever using one at a gig. But I always have a few Clayton rounded triangle 1mms around because I use them on guitar.
    The shape is just a little pointier than Dunlop's rounded triangles in a way that makes them work for me better.
    41frFfAHBIL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    110062000005173-00-500x500.jpg

Would love to try those leather ones!

BeyondFiredUp likes this.
  18. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    I'm gonna give the leather picks a try too. Interesting. Just hope they don't shed into the strings like felts.

19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I keep several kinds of varying materials and thicknesses around. I can't imagine doing up and down 16th notes with the same pick as chunky staccato quarter notes.

My oldest daughter once said my pick holder looked like a bunch of flattened Skittles.

crucislancer and Sneakyfish like this.
  20. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Same type but I prefer a little heavier 1.5mm. At less than 25 cents a pop I don't even bother looking for a dropped pick on stage. I've taken to using them on six string acoustic guitar for the few songs I use a pick (I'm 99% fingerstyle).

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022