Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Let's talk about stack jazz pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tekhna, Jan 25, 2005.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I am looking at the full sized Jazz stacks, like in the Fender Deluxes or the Rio Grande Powerbucker (Of which there seems to be no reviews or feedback on). So are there any other stacked jazz pickups out there? Any experiences with these beasts?

2. The Thinker

The Thinker Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    If you mean "humbucking jazz pickups", there are quite a few. Not all are "stacked"--some have the coils side-by-side under the cover (like a P-bass).

Some examples of good humbucking J pickups:

DiMarzio (ultrajazz, model J)
    Basslines (several models)
    Bartolini
    Sadowsky (very similar to DiMarzio Ultrajazz)
    Aero (I think)

I own a set of the Dimarzio Ultrajazz. GREAT pickups for modern sound--deep, tight lows and lots of sparkly highs. Kind of scooped sounding in the mids.

For more and better info, try doing a search on some of these pickups--you'll likely find lots of good stuff :).

3. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

Tried some of those! The Ultrajazzes are incredible, especially for the price. I was thinking more along the lines of full-sized jazz humbuckers like the Powerbucker, but lets hear some more!

4. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I recommend bart 9k1s, they're dual coils, they sound sweet on my mexican jazz.

You can get all the tones you could ever need without the hum and more bite than the stock pickups.

5. The Thinker

The Thinker Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    You mean like each pup=2 J pups stuck together? I haven't played many--just the stock one on the Fender MIA Deluxe P.

I think Aero makes one.