Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lets talk about thunderbirds

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassoptimus, Dec 15, 2004.

1. alright so i have always been a fan for the gibson thunderbird only because of its looks. i have yet to play and/or hear one. and i have an interest or purchasing one someday but before that, i was wondering what ur guyses opinions are on the thunderbird. how does it sound? do u hate it? do u like it? how does it play? etc... anything goes. i just want opinions. any opinions

and when i say thunderbird i mean the newer ones (thunderbird IV). im not talking about vintage ones. and epiphone doesnt count too. :D

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think their tone is dead, and their necks are fat unplayable baseball bats, but other than that, they're fine. ;)

This doesn't even scratch on the surface of all the Gibson QC problems going on right now, either. Check the "I'm boycotting Gibson" thread. Lotsa' heat there.

IMHO(!!)... Dude, get ANYthing else...

3. haha yeah i have such great timing with my posts... my post JUST HAPPENED to be under the "boycott gibson" poll lol, wow just my luck haha

4. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    hey optimus - have you checked out any of the other bird styles out there, like the Spector Rex? Bound to have better tone than most Gibbys. I did like the Blackbird I had for a brief stint tho =0)

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I love Thunderbirds. They are the ultimate rock bass IMO. And I disagree with the poster that said they are unplayable. Mine plays great (of course I learned to play on it and have owned it since it was new in 1976).

The bottom line is that it is a matter of opinion. Some people hate them, some love them, you just have to try one out yourself. And be sure to try it standing with a strap. They have reall bad neck dive that a lot of people don't like.

If you go to the dudepit Gibson forum you will find a lot of people that love them.

http://p219.ezboard.com/fthedudepitfrm5

6. I think t-birds are great, that is if you can live with the neck dive...

7. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars

The Rex bass is a cool variation on the T bird but Spector once made an even better looking T bird-ish bass. the Nikki Sixx model.

[​IMG]

8. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i love everything about t-birds.
    unfortunatly i do not own one :(

9. I have a 76 that I love. It's beat to ****, but still ticks. My friends Neil and Fred both have newer gen ones...Neil's is stock, and Fred's has Barts in it, and they both sound different, and both awesome. They both play as well if not better than the 76.

QC issues suck, and that being said, beware of lemons from any brand, but I love them thunderbirds.

10. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    "The new Thunderbirds are far superior to the old ones, they have fatter neck which makes them a helluva lot more durable than the old ones, the headstock of an old one will just snap off like a twig. (Sonic Youth's) Kim Gordon had that happen, It's unbelivable how many nice Thunderbirds got all busted up just by falling down." - Krist Novoselic.

11. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    True, the old ones were more prone to neck breakage than newer ones, but I've had my '76 since it was new, used it on many, many gigs in the last 27 years, and haven't managed to break it yet.

12. knock on wood...or in this case, DON'T... ;)

13. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    the t.bird is one of my fav basses.. mine doesn't seem to have any neck dive/headstock break problems, it sounds great, has a versatile tone and, in my opinion doesn't have bad neck.
    I would buy it again