Let's talk baseball

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Has anyone been watching baseball lately? My astros have been doing great and have an excellent shot of getting the NL wild card.

It pleases me very much the cubs are out (its an nl central feud thing) and hopefully SF will lose and the stros will take the wild card.

Excellent AL West action going as well....Angels/Athletics dueling it out for a playoff spot.

Though really it might all be in vain since I'm expecting a Cardinals/Red Sox world series.

Picks? Opinions?
  2. I don't see Boston in the World Series. ;)
  3. " I wish the Yanks would ****ing disappear, I wanted to bury myself under the mound. I dont know what else to do but tip my hat to them and call the Yankees my daddies."

Greatest baseball quote ever.

4. I agree, Vlad is a friggin beast in the batter's box. He's been cranking enough homers lately to win the AL West by himself.

Can't count out the Braves either....13 straight seasons headed into the playoffs, there must be something in the water in Atlanta. Even the pitchers are hitting home runs.

I really hope Clemens sticks around for a little while longer...considering retirement when you're very well onto winning the Cy Young award doesn't sit right with me. Plus, assuming AP is back to his old self next season, thats one seriously deadly 1-2-3 rotation (the other being another Cy Young candidate, Roy Oswalt).

Speaking of Andy Pettite, my fellow bassist friend prank calls his house every so often. Sometimes I feel bad for him, but when I drive by his gigantic house almost every day (no really...he lives just a few blocks away) its kinda hard to feel too bad for him. :D
  5. It's getting tighter...with the A's loss to the Angels last night, they have to win the rest of their games to have a chance, since Boston has locked up the wild card in the AL.

NL is a great race down to the finish...I hope the Giants go, if they dont I hope it's the Cubs!

Right now it's looking like a St. Louis/New York series. Hopefully I will be wrong.

oh, and I HATE the Yankees! Not really the Yanks, just Steinbrenner, he seems to have no regard for the 'rules' put forth by MLB, very short temper, etc. I wanna see him whine when they don't get in the Series again.
  6. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I'm a huge Yankees fan. I'm no bandwagon jumper either. I was just a kid in the late 60's and early 70's and then I was there during the late 80's and early 90's when they just plain sucked!

Despite their weak starting pitching, I still like their chances. Going into the season, I thought the Cubs could end the curse and win it all, but it looks like that aint gonna happen. The Red Sox? With all that talent, they still have to prove that the can beat the Yanks when it counts.

Who scares me? The Angels.

7. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    GO BRAVES!!!!

nuff said

8. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

the Sox took the season series from the Yankees this year. 2 of Rivera's 6 blown saves are at the hands of the Red Sox. It took a very tired pitcher in extra innings in the last game of the series last year for the Sox to lose. I think the Sox can hang with the Yanks. The pitching staff for the Yanks has a LOT of questions marks. The starters for the Sox are looking pretty solid in comparison.

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:
  9. I have been forced to change my post. But, it still remains with those who have quoted me :D

10. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  11. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

You don't want to talk baseball, DON'T OPEN THE THREAD!

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:
  12. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA

As a die hard Cubs fan, I hope they never make it to the playoffs again, and I hope they move to Montreal so that they can finally perform to the level of their City's interest.

Seriously, Cubs and Cubs fans...*** happened?
  13. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA

I'm still really angry. :scowl:
  14. Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Today was an awesome baseball day for me, talk about a nail biter for a Dodgers fan. Steve Finley was definatly the only good thing to come out of the trade deadline for LA but I'll be damned if he wasn't a great addition to the boys in blue.

Go Blue!
  15. Just remember, the Devil plays baseball...and he wears pinstripes.

(And A-Rod wasn't that big of an acquisition)
  16. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I really wanna see Boston go to and win the series. Also, I hate the Yankees.
  17. The Sox's average against the Yankees this year was above 70%.
  18. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Great season so far........ Congrats to the Astros........ that's closing out the season like champions......... Also to the Angels......... I enjoyed watching the Hated A's going down....... Cubs? What the hell? spend less time griping about what your TV analyst says and mix in a timely base hit, why don't cha!!............. Braves, one and done........... Twins...... do your best. It won't be enough.......Yanks, whatever.......... Sox, go get 'em........ It is my most fervent hope we get Yanks/Sox in the ALCS........ baseball bliss....................................... Finally,

Fear the Rangers in '05. Finest collection of young talent in baseball.

19. That really was an amazing finish for the astros. I really want them to take the world series, especially since some of our older players will be retiring within a year or two (Biggio, Bagwell, Kent) and who knows if Carlos Beltran will stick around or not.

The Rangers will be an amazing team once they get some pitching. I honestly believe they would of destroyed the al west with some star power pitching. The acquisition of Soriano was great for them.