Let's talk Blues...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Which Blues artists do you like? Which do you recommend to buy? Me first. :)

Clapton naturally.

Robben Ford. I've known about him for 25 years, but, I remember him being with Tom Scott and the L.A. Express. I read a disappointingly short interview with him in the March 2002 Guitar Player mag, and find out he's been into the blues for years.
    I bought his album, "Talk to your daughter." Pretty good.

Keb Mo. Whoa! This guy is super good. I'd heard his song, "There's more than one way home," a few years ago, but, never bought the CD until Saturday; THE WHOLE DISC IS GREAT! I'm going back soon to get a few more of his. I recommend this guy highly.

Who do you like/recommend?

Mike J.
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    R.L. Burnside, blues legend/genius
  3. :pTHE BLUES BROTHERS!!!!! :p
  4. Sure
  5. Chris Thomas King
    John Hammond
    John Mayall
    Buddy Guy
    Robert Cray
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    Willie Dixon
    Cory Stevens
    Kenny Wayne Sheppard
    Johnny Lang
    James Cotton
    Muddy Waters
    Elmore James
  6. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Blues Brothers are great. They really represent the Chicago Style great. (Plus they have "Duck" jamming on the bass) When people say "blues" nowadays, they usually think more of the Texas style like SRV and Kenny Wayne Sheppard. (Not that there's anything wrong with Texas blues or SRV and KWS cause, cause all that's great stuff too)

Yes, Robben Ford is great. I have one Cd by him called "Tigerwalk" which is more of a fusion album but you can definatley hear the blues influence in there.
  7. You cannot have a discussion about the blues without mentioning the 2 Alberts, Collins and King. Then you have to mention Freddie King, Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, and many more.

As far as Keb Mo, I saw him in Memphis at the Blues Festival a few years ago and became an instant fan. He even looks somewhat like the father of the blues, good old Robert Johnson.
  8. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Johnny Winter
    Muddy Waters
    Rory Gallagher
    Robben Ford
    John Mayall
    Elmore James
    ZZ Top
    Buddy Guy
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    For some odd reason I like Popa Chubby's stuff.
  10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    i like messing around with blues patterns at rehearsals... my drummer actually loves them and we jump into a blues jam... too bad my guitarist cant work around the stuff we play.
  11. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Did someone say "Chicago Blues"??? The top of my list is Buddy Guy. He's the guy:)D - intended) that Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, and Stevie Ray Vaughan all cited as their biggest influence!:D
  12. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
  13. I like:

Kenny Neal
    Tinsley Ellis
    Rita Chiarelli
    Jimmy James
    Ronnie Earl
    Son Seals

Oh yeah...and Blind Melon Washington!
  14. Roy Buchanan and Johnny Winter are the only guys I still listen to. Check www.allmusic.com for reviews on their disks.
  15. I'm not to big into blues, but I did catch Keb Mo on Austin City Limits on PBS a few weeks ago. His stuff was great.
  16. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Buddy Guy
    Junior Wells
    Albert King
    Otis Spann
    John Lee Hooker
    T-Bone Walker
    Albert Collins
    Big Mamma Thornton
    Janis Joplin
    Jimi Hendrix
    Freddie King
    Eric Clapton
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Robert Johnson
    Mike Bloomfield
    Bonnie Raitt
    Jimmy Cotton
    Lightnin' Hopkins
    Big Walter Horton
    Homesick James
    Ray Charles
    Muddy Waters
    Peter Green
    and many others
  17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I saw them double billed in the mid to late 80's. Buchanan blew my mind!!!

He was smokin a version of "Sunshine of your love" at the end of his set and snapped a "b" string ( :cool: yes I was that close to the stage :cool: ) and with a little assistence from a tech he changed and tuned it without missing a beat :eek:

About 2 minutes later the new one broke too... he just set the guitar down and walked off stage. The bassist (no idea who he was) did a groovy 10 minute solo.

18. This thread should be retitled,"Let's list blues".

Blues is the music I enjoy playing the most. It's a music you find everywhere, not just in the west. I have found blues cassettes in places like Tashkent and Andican (in the Fergana valley in Central Asia). One of the blues groups I occasionaly play with includes a Turk, and Englishman (me) and Iranian and an Ukrainian. The Ukranian is the best blues harp player I have ever played with.

The best blues player in Turkey is a guy called Mehmet Ali Acet, who I have had the occasional n honour to play with. His group opened for the Blues Brothers band on their tour of Turkey last autumn (which is how I got backstage to say, "Hey" to Steve Cropper!). The Blues Brothers bass player, Eric Udel, stayed behind to gig a couple of weeks with Mehmet at the Shaft club in Kadikoy, Istanbul...

What makes Mehmet better than other blues players here is that he doesn't play like SRV, Clapton, Hendrix, BB King (or any of the other Kings), or even T-Bone Walker, his hero. He plays like himself.

I am currently working on a blues duo, with a Turkish slide player, which should be hitting Ankara bars around April. So if you are here then, and want to hear some blues, drop me an e-mail.
  19. I'm not a huge blues fan, but I like :
    B.B. King
    John Lee Hooker
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Kenny Wayne Sheppard
    Johhny Lang
    Janis Joplin
    Jim Morrison (I know most don't really consider him blues, but a lot of the stuff the Doors did was bluesy)
  20. The Blues Brothers is the tightest blues band I have ever heard. Their rhythm section is amazing.

I agree! Jim Morrison was a great blues singer! You just have to listen to 'Cars Hiss by My Window', 'Crawlin Kingsnake' or 'LA Woman', amazing stuff.

I also like:

John Lee Hooker
    Muddy Waters
    BB King
    Jimi Hendrix