1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Let's Talk Compression

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jnewmark, Dec 11, 2006.

1. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Those of you that use this effect, what type do you use and where do you use it in the signal chain ? Do you prefer " soft knee" or " hard knee" , foot pedal or built in amp , before or after EQ section ? Use it all the time or just when popping, slapping, etc. ?

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    ...waits for bongomania to chime in...

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    This discussion has been done to death, and you should search for about 6 million answers, but I'll play anyhow:

I use the built in compressor on my ThunderFunk. It's real simple, soft and transparent. I've just been leaving it on lately but setting the input gain low enough where it doesn't trigger very often. For slap it's nice, but for normal playing I'd rather rely on a consistent technique. :smug:

Honestly I think compression is way overdone in the world of bass. All you need is something really basic, if anything at all. :ninja:

4. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    light2.

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    LOL

6. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i use overdrive. a sansamp RBI in my amp's effect loop, to be precise. overdrive is a type of overcompression... so it's all the compression i need.

7. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Sorry to start yet another thread that's been done to death. Mods, feel free to close it . BTW, I use an old BBE 383 and can't believe most of you don't like the compression effect in it. Yeah, you have to crank it, but popping and slapping with it sounds great to my ears. :meh:

8. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    that's hilarious:D

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I use an old school $30 ebay ART Levelar. It's operation is very smooth (as far as attack/release stuff goes) and adds a little more tubiness to my tone. I mainly use it to smooth out highs/clank in my playing. I put it at the end of my signal chain because I use a few effects that can add irritating treble (flanger/chorus) and some of the effects I use run better with an uncompressed signal (Boss SYB-3).

10. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I like LA type compressors-- thats's Leveling Amplifier not Los Angeles! ;)

11. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    We were typing at the same time! The Levelar is an LA, and is one of my favorites!

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Haha! I was totally not going to post in this thread, I don't want to seem like an uptight know-it-all, and I'm not telling people to "search" so much anymore.

But excane, that was great! Hilarious. I appreciate the effort! :D

So I'll answer the OP by saying my go-to compressor lately has been a heavily-modified Boss CS-3 pedal. It has a fixed high ratio and fixed knee, both of which happen to work well for my style. It's not the quietest unit, but the tone and articulation are better (for my tastes) than the rackmount units I've tried. It's more crisp and bright. I use it right before the input of my preamp, and I tend to leave it on all the time unless (a) I'm using an OD (redundant, not great in combination), or (b) I'm practicing my right hand technique for evenness.

IMO people who want to dial in their own perfect compression should try every arrangement they can hook up (different comps, different settings, and placements in the chain), since all the subtle differences will be better or worse according to subjective taste only. For people who just want a plug-n-play easy solution, there are units for that too.

The next units on my to-try list are the FMR RNLA and the Summmit TLA-50. I haven't added it to my reviews page yet, but I tried the RNC and didn't like it. :meh:

13. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I've used both the FMR RNC and RNLA. I much prefer the RNLA for imparting some character to the signal. I use it on mixdown as an insert on my mixer strapped across two channels. It's thick and gooey. Ratio is usually set to light compression - 3:1 to 6:1; medium attack with slow release. The RNC was too clean for my tastes (but is a GREAT unit for other tasks!).
    Jon

14. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Can't wait to hear Bongo's review on the RNLA and the TLA-50. I've had GAS attacks for the TLA-50 in particular!!

15. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    :D
    The info from your compressor posts alone makes it worth the price of admission.