Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Let's talk DX7.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Seems I've discovered an old flame, and I want one so bad I'm in tears. Something about these old school instruments that inspires passion.... the history is intoxicating, and resources on the net are amazing. Tax return $$ will bring one to me soon.

Nice thing is, they now cost about 1/10 of what they were mid-80's. Now, the dream will soon be reality.:D

Any other black-and-whiters with thoughts?

:confused:

2. If nothing else, having those basses and the "electric piano" sound is worth it.

If/when I build a personal studio, I may acquire one.

3. pics? :)

4. Yeah, I need to see pictures..... I don't remember any of my schools having anything as tasty as that:( :cool:

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I like my FM-7. It can read all DX presets.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I have one of the 1st run of DX7s - with 1 MIDI channel. It's under my bed, doing nothing.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a DX-11 in my closet. Nice little synth, (great keyboard controller) with much of the power (and most of the sounds) of the DX7. Check out http://www.vintagesynth.com/ for cool information and pictures of old synths. I also have an FB-01 which has some nice fat bass sounds.

8. Ok, I don't own one yet, but this is the object of my deep dark desire...

9. And the logo that almost every 80's keyboardist wanted to display to the crowd.

10. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    A lot of the presets were used a lot in 80's singles. I knew two keyboardists who had them and borrowed one. Editting the presets was a nightmare let alone making new sounds.

I loved the piano's fluty stuff and the tubular bells.

I've just remembered that I managed to AB a DX7 with a Rhodes and it was extremely close.

11. I have one!

I bought it exactly because I thought it was cool 15 years ago and they cost $200 now or whatever. I thought Korg M-1s were cool 10 years ago, but they cost $300. Whoah!

For the amount of keyboard playing I do, it's great. As far as sounds go, it's good at what it's good at, and you can MIDI the rest.

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Versatile but wonky and not entirely user friendly. Didn't they come up with the DX11 because the DX7 was too hard for many to use?

13. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have a DX21 in my studio now!!! hahaha

14. Hey to those who have used sys-ex:

So let me get this straight.

- Sys-ex is a program that I can download to my home PC
    - Once I have Sys-ex, I can download patches
    - Once I've downloaded a patch, I can dump it into a DX7

I'm learning about these beasts each day and want to make sure I'm understanding this sys-ex thing.

15. Hmmm, not sure aboot the diffs in the DX11, I've been finding info on (search) thedx7 as well as (search) vintagesynth .

:)

16. This just in….

I remembered that a relative (wife’s stepfather) was into electronic music years ago, and I had a funny feeling he may have owned a DX7 at one time. I called. He still has it, it’s currently being stored in it’s box. Knowing this guy, it would be in pristine condition. He may or may not be willing to sell it…. Hope so, cuz I’d know I was getting one in perfect shape.:eek:

(fingers crossed)

Wish me luck.
    :D :D

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    No, system exclusive is a MIDI message type. It is used to transfer patch data over MIDI (as opposed to note on/off or controller info).

Patch editor and librarian programs use system exclusive messages to up/download patch data to/from the synth.

18. Thanks for the info, brianrost.:)

So, from what I understand thus far, I'd want to get a patch librarian program to effectively act as a "stockroom" in my PC for downloaded patches.

Sys-ex is just the midi mesage type.... hmm... starting to make a little more sense. Please bear with me, I'm a midi idiot.

I guess you could call me a "midiot".:meh:

19. Just to re-iterate what JMX said:
    PRO: There are loads of resources for DX-7's on the web.
    PRO: You get lots of lovely early 80's synth noises.
    CON: programming new patches (or tweaking existing ones) on the beast is a complete swine (according to those who know).
    CON: You will probably need a librarian or patch editor on your PC to "talk" to the DX-7 so you can save your patches / load up new ones.
    CON: Sys-ex is not for the feint hearted.
    CON: Your sequencer will need to be fairly decent to handle Sys-ex.

If you're doing that why not get a virtual synth (FM-7) and drive it from a MIDI controller keyboard? You then don't have to worry about it breaking down in future... :eek:

20. Would you explain?

Doesn’t the FM-7 require a PC to operate? It would seem a bit cumbersome to have to bring a PC to gigs.

Breaking down? Hmmm. I’ll risk it. It is said that the DX7 was built like a tank…. I guess I get a thrill out of running old gear and old technology, kind of like the classic car owners, Harley Davidson riders, and Vintage Fender Bass players.

There’s something about the real thing that breathes passion into the person using it.

MKS - I appreciate your advice.