Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Let's talk four 10's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry J, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Ok, I traded my trusty old Goliath II to my bass teacher for his Bag End 2x12. I'm learning to like the 2x12's but they just don't do it for me like a 4x10 cab can. Just my thing I guess.No, I'm not interested in the 3x10 Berg., Epifani or EA cabs. I have to have an 8 ohm cab to work with my WT-500.

I'm think it's going to be either an Aguilar GS410. Eden 410xlt, Bag End Q10B-X or the Epifani T-410. I know the Eden tone fairly well and I got to try out the Aguilar but only at a low volume level (weenie store). I though that the Aguilar sounded very close to the Eden tone. The guy at that store, who had no real allegiance to either brand, said that they absolutely could not tell the difference between the Ag. and the Eden in a side-by-side test.

Has anyone put any or all of these cabs side-by-side and tested them out? I know BassNW carries all four of these brands. I will eventually make a trip up there to see what I hear.

I do know that it boils down to what I like. And since I really did like the tone of my old Goliath II...well what can I say?

I'm just looking for other folks thoughts.

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    If you liked the Goliath II, you could just get a Goliath III.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Consider the Acme Low B-4 too. www.acmebass.com

I have the Low B-2 and I use it with a WT-400 and love it. The most *real* bass I've ever heard out of 10s, but without sounding bloated, lumpy, or hyped-up in the midbass. I won't say it's better than all the stuff you're considering, because I haven't heard it all. I will say that I prefer it to the Eden stuff, and I used to own and love an Eden cab.

The thing about Acme is that it sounds more like a studio monitor than like a regular bass cab. I like this, but not everyone does. I find a lot of cabs overhyped in one area or another, and the Acme's relative accuracy can make it seem unexciting if you're looking for a more exaggerated sound.

Acmes are notoriously inefficient, though, and eat power amps for breakfast. Can you bridge a WT-500? If so, it might be enough for a B-4; if not, it almost certainly won't be.

4. Bag End.

5. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I've had an Acme B2 for 2 years now and when I last spoke to Andy on the phone he mentioned that he likes the WT500...for the B2!

6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Id stick with the goliath! Those are my babies!

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    The Goliath III is in no way like the old II model other than name. The old II model has a design very close to the Eden line. Rear ported and same tweeter.

I just can't get into the tone of the new SWR's. And I really don't like that chrome stuff that they have on the front. I wonder why Bergantino chose to use the same stuff?

8. A pair of 12's operating as a 2x12 gives you approximately 167 square inches of piston area. The 4x10 provides 217 square inches, or 30% more piston area which is what moves the air.

If the 10s and 12s both have the same sensitivity rating (SPL rating), the 4x10 will be +6dB louder than the 2x12 if sufficient amplifier power is available to power each driver to its maximum power rating.

Larger drivers typically require larger cabinet volumes to realize their low bass potential. All the commercial cabs I've seen and spec'ed cram their drivers into too small cabinet volumes, and this reduces the low bass output. A 2x12 stuffed into a small cabinet will probably be as cramped as 4x10 stuffed into too small a cabinet..

IMO the 4x10 will be noticeably louder, and the low bass response about the same as the 2x12.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'd check out a Eden David XLT.

Or a Tech Soundsystems 4x12, 4x12 the best I've heard yet. Aluminium-coated cones and Neodymium drivers.

or a Glockenklang Take Five, but ut's probably too expensive in the U.S.