Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lets talk Geddy

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by fretbuzz, Sep 11, 2002.

1. question to rush fans, what is it about geddy lee that makes him so good in YOUR opinion. not all the usual stuff like he sings, plays bass, bass pedals and keys almost all at the same time. but maybe some other observations. i have my ideas but would love to hear from some real bass players on the subject, peace.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I don't know what makes him so good in my eyes. I just like him. I like his tones, I like his lines, I like his attitude, hey, I even like his voice! :eek:

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

+1

4. MorganM

MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    +1 also

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    moved to bassist

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    ditto

the lines had me hooked from day 1

+1

7. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    The way his voice interacts with his basslines, the way they add to the melody and interact with the guitars and drums, his awesome tone and evolution as a player.

8. the triplet he uses all the time... i mimic that move ALWAYS in my bass playing! without that, i would still beplaying Yankee DOodle!

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I really like how his bass manages to fill up so much space. It's really in the forefront of much of Rush's music. I like how the bass interacts with the drums rythmically and like how Geddy weaves the two together to bring a certain kind of cohesiveness to their music.

That plus he's...like...so cool, dude!:D

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    oops..I thought this was a thread involving celebrity impersonations. I guess I can stop talking in this high voice now. My bad. :)

brad cook

11. And what reconfirmed my admiration for Geddy is the technique he uses on a lot of the more recent tunes (especially those off of their latest album).

The man is a bass-chord monster! He just flutters his right hand over the strings and creates the most amazing tones!

I've been trying to work some of the same thing into the gigs I've been playing. Of course, I have to be a bit picky about when and where I do it. Bass chords don't do a whole lot for a traditional country tune, but they can add some serious beef to a hard rock tune.

All things in moderation!

12. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Another +1

13. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I agree with what most everyone has said with the exception that I believe his tone has GREATLY suffered since picking up the Jazz Bass....Geddy, for God's sake, please bring back the WAL or at least the Ric!..

14. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    I saw Rush Thursday. It was truly amazing. Not just the way he played, but his attitude. He just seemed like a cool guy. I was suprised, Geddy was jumping around more than some of the bands Ive seen at punk shows.

15. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    He's like Jack Bruce:The Next Generation.

16. worganc

worganc

Sep 16, 2002
    Ontario Canada
    Geddy knows what to put where and exactly how much to use. It also doesn't hurt he has Neil and Alex. Many guitar players would have a difficult time playing beside a talent such as his, but Alex is huge. Neil is Neil, can't say more than that. Oh yeah, and he's from Toronto!!!!!