Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lets talk Genz Benz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gazman_res, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Hi guys,

I was just lookin at the Genz Benz series of bass amps, normally i would ignore them since they wouldnt be available down here, but i found a dealer and suprise suprise theyre offering them at excellent prices!

ive done a search but couldnt come up with much. But i have checked reviews and they seem to be an excellent score.

Just what everyone thought about them. Pros/Cons etc

any feedback would be greatly appreciated
    Cheers

2. BUMP. I've started considering Genz Benz as well. Can some of you guys list the pros/cons of them.

3. Hey Gaz, does this dealer have a website I could look at?

Joe.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i have to say i tried the 600 by genz benz and thought it was a really good head for the money. stable at 2 ohms too, which is a major plus.

5. Ah good old Billy Hyde. Went to that store to pickup my Ibanez 400QM but ended up getting it from the Basscentre in Melbourne.

6. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I've been extremely happy with my GBE-600.
    With the tube and solid state pre's, it's very versatile. It has plenty of power for most applications. I can't really think of any CONs.

7. thanks for the replies guys.

Just curious who has the cabs as well if anyone has tried or owns the cabs as well, since im likely getting a head and 1 (or 2) cabs.

bump.

8. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Because my less than year old Ashdown ABM 500 Evo II crapped out on me, I returned it to the store for repairs and they were cool enough to let me borrow a Genz-Benz 600. I am really liking the clean tone of the f.e.t. side of this amp. I sold my Peavey 4 ohm cabs so I am running this amp at 4 ohms with my 2 SWR 8 ohm cabs. I think they are close to resolving my Ashdown issue, so I will have to return their amp, though I am considering talking about a trade with them. The GB amp just feels lilke quality stuff after my Ashdown left me Ass-down at a big gig. Not familiar with the GB cabs though, good luck. Can I interest anyone in a slightly used Ashdown? ;)

9. Get one. You'll be glad! I wanted one but they were just out of my price range. The gbe600 is the way I would go with 2 ohm ability and both a tube pre and solid state pre! The smaller gbe400 only has the solid state pre.

10. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Hey guys, I use a Genz-Benz Live Series 410, I like it. It has really good lows, good mids, and good highs. I got it for free from trading my old rig, but the prices seem pretty good. Its really light too, so it's pretty easy to haul around. I'm 5'3 and I can carry it up a flight of stairs alone no problem. So I would reccomend looking at their cabs as well.

11. guys thanks for the replies
    but, common i know theres more of you out there!
    bump!

12. dont

dont

Jul 25, 2004
    dontwyman@lycos.com
    I have two G-B NeoX212's and I love 'em. They handle a low B very well, are very smooth and clear, and are extremely loud. I compared them with most of the major brands you will see discussed in this forum, and nothing came close.

13. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I really like Genz Benz heads, and really really really like the cabs. They work great together. I was at a music store to try out a Phil Jones M-500 (very expensive) out of curiosity, since I could never afford one. Played it through a Trace Elliot 810 cab, which I'd never known existed. I was quite impressed with the sound. Then I decided to play a GB 400 head through a GB 210 to compare it to an affordable mass produced rig. I was even more impressed. To be honest I did not think it sounded quite as good, but the price was a fraction of the PJ/Trace. Then played a variety of GB combos of various sizes, they were all impressive for the price. Seemed to reproduce pretty clearly the tone of my bass, without adding very much color, although the EQ could color the sound if I chose. Even the small cabs sound much larger, deep, full and bright. I eventually bought an older used combo, a GBE series 1 210, that pumps out serious bass at surprisingly loud volumes. I had everything in the store EXCEPT the combo rattling and shaking with the volume up only 1/4. Great stuff!

14. I got one of their 2x10 cabinets about 12 years ago, after a long search for a good 2x10 cab. Every other 2x10 cab I tried was designed for mids, but this cab has wonderful lows, mids and highs! Two years later I found another one, the porting had changed slightly but otherwise it was the same cab.

These two cabs have served me very well - I use one when indoors or on a big stage with big sound system (DI from my Eden), and I use both when playing outdoors. Never had a problem.

Oh, I did get them reconed two years ago, but that's going to be necessary with any Eden-style 10" speaker eventually - the shape of the speaker puts most of the pressure on the outer rim, just inside the surround, and eventually paper will crease from this. Look at your 10" speakers every once in a while, and if you see creasing, get them reconed before they snap.