1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Let's talk hiss killing!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sleepy_monkey, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Ok, I am sure this is an easy fix.

When I am playing I am getting a slight hiss...nothing crazy, but it is there. When I touch the top of the preamp or the end of my instrument cable, it disappears and everything is crystal clear. Problem is that I can't play while doing the hokey pokey. So I am sure it is a grounding issue...but I have all electrical stuff going through a Furman so it must just be me I guess.

What is the easy fix for this?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The Furman won't make any difference. I'd guess your bridge, and therefore your strings, isn't grounded. If they were what happens when you touch the cable end would also happen when you touch them.

3. Well the strings make no difference if I am touching them or not...it only stops hissing when I touch the cable end or the screws holding the input jack in the bass...or by touching the top of the preamp above the amplifier.

??

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    hissing or buzzing???

5. bakeronbass

bakeronbass

Apr 3, 2007
    Humboldt Ca
    Endorsing Artist; Schroeder Cabinets
    Sounds like the input jack on the pre amp is a little sloppy. And losing ground. Could just be the cable. What the hell do I know I just like it to play when I turn it on.

6. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, I'd guess a bum ground connection around the output jack, or in the cable plug(s). Nothing that a Furman could help. Check all solder points.

7. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
  8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Have you already tried a diferent guitar cord? (or bass)

9. If you touch something and it stops, it's a grounding issue. Take your bass to a tech and have them fix it.

10. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    There should be a connection from the ground lug of the output jack to the bridge. Usually it's a wire, although the safer method is with a .01uF capacitor. In any event, your bridge obviously is not grounded.

11. Crap. I would have thought that a Modulus would have been grounded.

Is there a site to help in grounding the bridge?

12. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    If you have effects is everything plugged all the way in. Does it happen in every wall jack in your practice space or at every gig? Does it happen with a different cord? Does it happen with your bass into a different rig. Is there a dimmer on somewhere in that house? Will the Cubs with the Pennant?

13. It has to be a grounding issue with the bass b/c when I took off the back plate and touch the shielding it stops then too.

Please direct me with a way to ground the bass. :)

14. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The "pickups and electronics" forum here is chock full of those directions. Check the FAQ and stickies.

15. Thanks Bongo. I took the bridge off and no ground wire. :( So that is the problem I took a wire and touched it to the bridge and ran it around to the back and touched the cavity shielding and then touched the strings with my finger....no hiss.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the wire from A to B. :(

16. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Most basses will have a small hole drilled from the underside of the bridge to the inside of the control cavity. If it's not there already, then I suppose you should drill one.

17. Yeah, the only holes are the 3 screw holes securing the bridge down and I am going to have to drill at an angle to get to the control cavity.. Drilling holes in my Mod.....son of a......

It has to be done though. Thanks for all the help!

18. Hole drilled, wire run, hiss gone. :)

Thanks!

19. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    In some circles it's claimed that active basses don't require the bridge and strings be grounded. Assuming your Mod is active your experience indicates otherwise.

20. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I take it you've completed this already so just for future reference, sometimes, over time, the ground wire will push a little indentation into the body under the bridge for itself to lay in and sometimes loses good contact with the bridge. I find that a good fix is to cut a little peice of copper or aluminum foil, lay that on the body, put the wire on top of it and screw the bridge down over all of that. It's still thin enough it won't mess with your setup. If you get the grounding problem again in a few years, check that.