Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Let's talk Moses (again)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, May 23, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Couple of Moses questions here. I'm going to put a fretless neck on my recently aquired Steinberger XM (woohoo!). I'm checking out the specs, and it appears that their necks are slightly slimmer than the original necks. They call their neck shape a "shallow boat", but I don't see the Steinbergers as having a shallow neck. I don't have a set of calipers, but it looks like my Steinberger is a .85"-.9" deep at the first fret, but the Moses is .75". It may sound like I'm splitting hairs here, but I know what I like, and I don't want a thinner neck. Are they the same profile as the old pre-Gibson Steinberger necks, or are they truely thinner?

Also, how hard are these things to install once you get them? I've heard you need a drill press or something; can you not do this on your own without one? Anybody have any experience installing one of these?

2. earlc

earlc

May 23, 2004
    Northern Virginia
    Can't answer about the size, but I know about the install (put a FL Jazz neck on a Warmouth body). Would not try it without a press - scared myself with a hand drill just putting on a string tree - needs big holes for the inserts. I chickened out and had a local luthier set it for me - plus the quoted size specs were not "exact". He had to open the slot and shim quite a bit to get the action right. If you have the right tools and a bit of experience, shouldn't be that bad, I paid $50 bucks for an expert to take the risks.

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Honestly, I'd rather be kicked in my teeth than have to deal with Ed Roman.... but that's another thread.

I want a fretless neck, not a defretted one. I could always yank the frets out of mine if I wanted that.

5. if you can dig up doug roomian (the guy who built my bass) he might be able to help you with a good defretting, or making any adjustments/mounting a new neck or whatever. i think he does good work.