Let's talk Octave Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HelpImaRock, Sep 26, 2022.

1. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I recently got a Zyvex Mastotron to use with my old school Boss Oc2. It has a lot of control over the fuzz tones it generates, and I like the over all tone.

I have some other pedals that I’ve been using for fuzz tones:
    Tech21 Red ripper
    Boss Metal Zone with two caps removed
    Joyo Ultimate Drive
    Ibanez Phathed

The Mastotron seems to have the most extreme fuzz and the most control over the sound.

I also got a cheap Donner harmonic square pedal. It does various intervals including octave up or down and also can be a chorus pedal. The jury is still out on this pedal, but it works, and the tracking is very good.

I also have an Akai Unibass for octave up sounds. It does a good job of that and can do 5ths as well. I don’t like the built in distortion very much, and the form factor is a bit large though.

2. JeffTCS

JeffTCS Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2021
    Michigan
  3. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I saw a demo video saying the pedal is digital. Is that the case?

4. It is, though if the model was of the Hyper Fuzz instead of an Octavia, I would consider it. Digital isn't a dirty word.

monsterthompson likes this.
  5. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    It isn’t a dirty word these days. I was just curious if I read it right.

6. arepa_funk

arepa_funk Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2020
    Not sure if this has been posted, Dystopian Fuzz is a clone & more of the FZ-2. Not affiliated.

7. Warlock_Surfer

Warlock_Surfer

Feb 29, 2020
    Big Tex

This muff clone has a Green Ringer effect

8. Borrowed my guitarist's MXR La Machine, which is an MXR Foxx Tone Machine with switchable octave. I like my $30 Behringer Super Fuzz much better. This probably takes the MXR Sub Machine out of the running for me as well.

monsterthompson likes this.
  9. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    looks like they just came out with an updated version of the 76

10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    High octave. Like stepping on a bee hive.
    upload_2022-10-11_19-48-4.jpeg

11. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Mcspunckle.com

The Gnomeratron

12. Going to have to fiddle with mine - that sounds pretty cool… I always messed with the silicon setting but may have to redo on the germanium switch

13. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    That's what I am using as well...:)

DwaynieAD likes this.
  14. So I played with the board and found two things… my boss ps3 is now glitchy as heck and won’t always work / shorts out the board :( so there goes that option of using for octave up duties… but also the v1 Solidgoldfx 76 in germanium mode is awesome… the silicon mode sounds more like the behringer sf300. Overpowering at 9 and just a full on fuzz war. They both lose low end (as kind of expected) but the germanium seems to let a bit more fundamental through with a shreddy overtone fuzz on top. It sort of reminds me of the hiero effects bead in some settings but way less compressed compared to the bead.

Long story short, it sounds very awesome but not sure where I’d use it in my band mix… other than that a very fun pedal I’ll probably keep for the fun board.

15. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Posted this in a couple of other threads. Might as well add it here. It’s been taking some time to figure out and dial in but I’m enjoying it. Probably not the best bass fuzz or an always on first choice, but it’s not bad.
    5C9F9F40-EC25-4B6A-8ACD-E738A1DA6C87.jpeg

theunknowndude likes this.
  16. Warlock_Surfer

Warlock_Surfer

Feb 29, 2020
    Looks like the Black Arts Fnord is back in stock

theunknowndude likes this.
  17. Anyone tried this on bass?? Description sounds good but never heard any bass demos and I didn’t like the son of pharoah *shrug*

villegastx likes this.