Let's talk some Steinberger

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grooveguru, Mar 25, 2001.

1. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    How many of you have one of these excellant basses? What models, colors, etc. Any war stories? I have owned 2 XP-2 in the past and currently own an black XL-2. It was one of the last all composites made when Gibson was running things. It had passive electronic but I added a HAZ labs active circuit to it. Let's hear from all you "Berger fans"
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I have a White fretless XL-2. Was my main fretless for a couple of years, before I got my Pedulla.

Great little basses.

Will C.:cool:
  3. A couple of stories come to mind, I was waiting for a late guitarist with the stein, and case-(assault rifle shoulder bag) looking a little P.O.'d in front of a family ice cream parlor, when a bullhorn advised me to drop the weapon!!! No less than 15 guns and rifles pointed in my direction. I also took my matching 'bergs to Nashville in the late '80's to less than enthusiastic reception by the "Opry" crowd. Love the basses, but have moved to sixers.
  4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I always wanted one... they have sounded good in the stores. But just never got one for whatever reason.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

I'd like to hear how that story ended.

Actually, thaat's one of the reasons I started looking for an instrument that looked more like a guitar. I have enough people giving me funny vibes when I walk with something that looks like an instrument. Tall guys with a bit of melanin make some people uncomfortable for some reason.:rolleyes:

Will C.:cool:
  6. GOX42

Sep 28, 2000
    rising sun indiana
    I have a steinberger spirit 5 string It's good for regga type stuff and some old funk It gets a good Sly and the family stone type o' sound
  7. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I've found my XL-Pro (Gibson/Steinberger XL-2A w/ DB bridge) to be my main bass for my original group. I give up the B string from my other basses, but the rich, aggressive tone cuts through nicely. Personally, I think the XL is a very versatile bass. It's a shame they didn't get the 5 string thing right till late in their existence though.