Let's talk straps!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I wonder what straps do you people use for your bass(es), at the moment i have a fender monogrammed strap but i don't know if it is the strap for me. Some people say i should get a really good leather strap and some say i should check out these "bass straps" like the Fender Neoprene bass strap. I've also been interested in Tweed straps.

What straps do you use and/or recommend to check out?
  2. I tend to use (and like) the straps that go right under the screw on the strap nut thing... effective and they don't fall off.

I don't know what they do to the screw though, I could think if you are hardcore swiinging and bouncing with your bass you might mess things up.

I though you were talking about something erotic at first :ninja: Leather straps :D
  3. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I've got a planet waves straplock strap...came with my bass.
  4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I just saw a locking strap for the first time a few days ago. I was intrigued...I'll stick with my straplocks though. I like cheapy straps.
  5. I had one made for me by a custom leather guy off of the internet. I was trying to duplicate a D'Addario strap from way back. This is ok, but not near like the old one. The D'Addario was a thick black one piece leather and about 4 inches wide. Not one of these adjustable pieces of crap - only holes. Absolutely the most comfortable anywhere. I'm going to start making my own since there's a Tancy leather shop in town nearby. I can't stand what they call straps these days.
  6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
  7. I have about 4 straps, but I only use my Levy's Leather one.

I wish I could compress all the good qualitys of all my basses, and have a bass with a bunch of exotic woods and electronics, so I could permantly put a strap on one. With the screws and the washers, and the other stuff.
  8. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    theres just one thing about the straplock straps that i dont get...the plastic keeps hittin my bass when i put it on and off...will it do any damage?>
  9. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I have about 5 straps all together.

1 Comfort Strapp
    2 Fender Bass Neoprene Straps
    1 Planet Waves Tubular Bass Strap
    1 Planet Waves Nylon Bass Strap...no wait, I traded that one to a student for a leather L&M Guitar strap for my acoustic g**t*r.

the Comfort Strapp is the main one now...I've listed them in order of "comfort", IMO anyway...anyone local looking to pick up one of my Fender straps, make me an offer, I don't need two...may wish to sell off the Planet Waves strap as well...
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Regular old Ernie Ball 2" nylon straps. Work for me, work for my shoulder, and it's a day.
  11. I use a Kepur Zero.1
    Near as I can tell it's a seatbelt type material covered in a non-stick rubber. Can't break it, and don't need straplocks.
  12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ha! I have a custom length duct tape strap. They work great... assuming your bass has zero neck dive. I need leather straps to grip a bit.
  13. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Just a plain old Fender strap.

14. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    That's the exact strap that i have for the moment! :)
  15. Yes, anything hard hitting the finish will eventually damage it. The easiest way to cause less damage is to be a little more careful when putting the straplocks on.
  16. Each guitar and bass have a strap that go with them, plus a few spares to switch out when I'm feeling feisty. :p

There was a sign at my favorite music store that said "Straps made from dead cows are best," and I agree.

My Jazz has a plain thick black strap that was 4" wide that I cut down to around 3". The T-Bird has a Buddy Lee strap that has ends that tie on to the main body of the strap- about 3" wide. The G&L has a strap I made from a cotton physical therapy lift belt (that the ends had frayed off- I actually made two of them) and leather scraps from a local tannery.

For Les Pauls, I prefer the vintage style 1" with the 3" wide shoulder pad, except for my 71 Deluxe which is really heavy- I have super soft leather 4" for that- I had to add an extra layer of leather to the front end to keep the leather from folding up on itself- it's super soft leather...

One of the spares I have is a strap I had made to be able to extend to 54" and to kind of look like Peter Green's (from the original Fleetwood Mac). The strap looks really cool, but it's pretty stiff. One of the others used to be a sling for an M-60 machine gun that I'd been saving for 10 years just to make it into a strap.

All straps and spares have Schaller straplocks attached.
  17. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I've been using a Comfort Strapp for a couple of years now - it has made a huge difference as far as my back and shoulder are concerned. I recall hearing that they've been discontinued, but I don't know that that's true.