1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Let's talk straps

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rimshot, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Rimshot

Rimshot Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Chicago
    Have any of you found the mythical wonder-strap that solves all the ills of doing a three set gig?

I'm tired of waking up with a sore shoulder and back after just an evening's practice.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The wide neoprene straps are the best I've seen. The wide leather ones hold the weight well, but the extra cushioning on neoprene straps end up chaffing less. I've been using Comfort Strapps for years, and they're great. I got an email from Mono Cases today, and they're coming out with their own wide neoprene strap that looks similar to Comfort Strapps- they call it The Betty:
    http://www.monocase.com/mono-gs1-betty.asp

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Comfort Strapp. After over 30 years of gigging, managing a guitar store for 11 years, and having basses that weighed as much as 13 pounds (a '73 ash P bass), this is the ONE I've stuck with. Had Fender's version of the Neotech, the goofy D'Addario "Air Strap", big sheepskin padded things, wide leather both soft and stiff, Levys, et. al. Even a no-name knock off of the Comfort Strapp. The only ones I use with the basses are the Comfort Strapp, though that Mono strap that Bryan posted looks very very appealing too.

I want a strap that's going to stay where I put it, won't bounce, distributes the weight smoothly across the shoulder's bones and tissues, will move when I want it to, and won't need readjustment. The Comfort Strapp does all this where others have failed.

John

4. fwiw I use these w/ a very heavy ash P rarely for less than 3 set gigs and It's been fine so far (at least a few years) . . . not a big fan of wide sraps as the get too hot imo

5. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, I started using Comfort Strapps around '95 after seeing them listed in Bass Player mag in an article called "50 Greatest Bass Values" or something like that. It wasn't just about basses, but any good bass-related values. I've been hooked on the Comfort Strapps ever since.

But I agree that "The Betty" looks pretty comfortable, and similar to a Comfort Strapp. But it offers more color choices. I'd like to try one sometime.

6. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    I use several of the Comfort's, but beware they had a run of substandard nylon(?) rings that would break unexpectedly.

One of mine broke mid-tune, but I was able to catch my beloved '69 Jbass before it hit the ground.

My wife repaired it with a nylon zip tie, and it remains on the strap since Comfort acknowledged the problem but didn't offer to do anything about it.

I'd buy from them again, but that "Betty" model looks to be a match.

7. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Moodys work for me.

DSC00376.

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Nope, strapons always leave you sore, some way or another.

oops, wrong forum

9. trainwrecker

trainwrecker Guest

Feb 15, 2010
    I've also been using the Comfort Strapp for almost 5 years now and it's been much more comfy than the Sadowsky version (it's just like Fenders version of this). Still searching for something better though....The "Betty Strap" looks like it would be pretty good....meditate on this i will

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Comfort Strapp = definitely

That extra little bit of bounce and give they offer makes a huge difference in a gig as far as I'm concerned.

11. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    +1
    I've used them for years, and wouldn't use anything else, except on featherweight basses (like a Danelectro Longhorn). Just be aware that they come in short, long and extra long, so make sure you get the right one. I am right about halfway in between necktie and low rider style, and the extra long works for me.

12. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I've found that the shoes I'm wearing have a lot more impact on my back pain than my strap. I use Levy's leather straps.

13. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    Most of my basses are fine for three sets but I have a couple that are over 10 lbs and for those I use the Comfort Strapp.

14. REAPER52

REAPER52

Aug 17, 2008
    FL-Central
    Moody

15. fedebass

fedebass

Feb 22, 2006
    Aarhus, Denmark
    +1

16. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Italia. I used neoprene for a long time (when they first came out in the late 1980's). Gradually I realized that I liked the stability of a good leather strap.

17. pondscum29

pondscum29

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
  18. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    not to hijack the thread, but most of the joints I play require 4sets:oops:

19. barrybass33

barrybass33 Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2008
    westchester new york.
    Moody. & comfort strapp......

20. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Hit the gym and build some muscle...seriously.