Let's talk volume!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    After studying some tapes of me playing in concerts, some friends and i all agree i have to get a volume booster of some sort, so now i need your help here at TB. What is a good booster for bass that doesn't cost me a fortune?

Thanks! :bassist:
  2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Why would you need a booster? Are you talking about a booster for soloing?
  3. What Kelly said. Are you just generally too quiet? Because there's this thing called a volume knob that you can turn up and down. :D

If it's for soloing, you can get a booster like the MXR Micro Amp or Fulltone Bassdrive, or even just an EQ pedal. The Boss EQ pedal has a slider for Gain. You could leave the EQ flat and just kick it on to be a little louder.

If you feel you're being buried in the mix, you might need to rethink your eq settings. If you have turned down your mids, then you've taken most of the loudness away from your bass. If the bass and treble frequencies are boosted and you turn up your volume, you'll become both muddy and harsh.

Suggestion: during the next show, set your eq on your bass and head flat. Don't tweak anything but your volume knob. Play a song or two and I bet you'll find that you can be heard better and more clearly. THEN you can tweak your EQ to make everything sound that much better.
  4. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Yes it's for soloing and lead parts. I will check those pedals out! Thanks for your tip Phat!