1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lets trade necks!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by lowendgenerator, Aug 23, 2007.

1. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I have a MIM P-bass neck in great condition. Its a 2000-2001 I believe. Frets are in great shape, rosewood board, no issues. I'm looking for a Jazz neck. I just can't jive with this 1 and 3/4ths nut width.

Here's a pic of the neck:

P8150002.

2. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    bump!

3. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Hell, I'll throw in a few bucks, since I know that Jazz necks are more in demand then P necks.

4. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    A MIM P bass neck like the one you have has a 1-5/8" Width @ the Nut. Actually, I think all of the MIM P necks are that size. You should try to get used to it, because if you ever did play a 57 or 62 reissue P bass neck, you would see just how wide that 1-3/4" is in comparison. If you like a 1-1/2" jazz width neck, that's cool too. But it's not that big of a difference really. You also might want to try to find a MIJ P bass 70's style A neck. That's a comfortable 1-9/16" at the nut. Those necks are nice. Try eBay... The stratosphere. They have them up for auction all the time.

5. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I don't think it's so much the nut width that bothers me. It's neck carve. I'm trying to avoid The Stratosphere, if I had money to spend I wouldn't be making Fenders out of SX basses. :D

6. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I know there's some fans of chunky necks out there. This one has no issues!

7. would you sell it? with the funds you can buy a used MIM jazz on the bay or here?