Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Let's wax nostalgic about old stereo equipment

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Max, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    One of my big regrets gear-wise was to allow my old Marantz stereo equipment from the 70's get discarded. Recently I got a small receiver for my office off Ebay that had been refurbished. All the lights work and the stereo light flashes on just like the good old days. The cool gyro touch tuning wheel and the blue lit radio panel. My teenage son is into vinyl LPs so I got my same turntable model off Ebay for him for Christmas.

The sound is sooooooooo great and all of that glorious brushed chrome.

Marantz: made in California in the good old days like Fender and Rickenbacker.

You guys keep any of your old stuff?

2. I've got an old Kenwood with a pair of Altec Lansings and a tube-powered console by American Music Corporation. The Kenwood/speakers were my father's and I just picked up the console about a month ago.

Mike

3. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    marantz 2325! polk audio SDA's!

4. Just going back to the 80's...

I still have my old Bose 501 and 301 with the faux wood grain. The Kenwood linear tracking turntable... yeah, that's a whole lot of suck. The Yamaha 10 band per channel graphic EQ. The Yamaha dual cassette deck. I sold my Sansui 9090DB to help pay for the Yamaha receiver/surround sound...

[​IMG]

5. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    bang & olafson beomaster here

6. Wish I had my old Marantz, Crown, Phillips,Nakamichi,Advent,etc. But I DO still have my '75 Klipsch Heresys and Revox receiver and CD deck which I'm pondering whether to sell or not.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I used to have one of those Fisher-Price record players. It was incredible.

brad cook

8. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    My old Sony CD deck player from 1987 finally gave up the ghost recently. I was a little sad. :) My only remaining bit of old stereo kit is an Akai digital graphic EQ that was my dad's, but I somehow ended up with it. Currently, it's in service in my little home studio setup as an EQ for my monitors.

9. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Still have all components from my first real stereo bought in 1978. Only the speakers still in use, but I will NOT get rid of the Yamaha receiver, even if one channel doesn't work.

I still use the generic wood cabinet speakers because I hate the sounds of most new entry level stereo speakers. They seem to all set up to be used for movies, and are way too bright, even with a sub in the room.

10. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Yamaha receiver (Taiwan) turntable (CIJ) and speakers (MIA!)

Not only do they sound fine - I bought them with money made working 60+ hours a week at two jobs the summer of 1978. The tape deck died and the various cats have done a job on the speaker cloth - but I will never part with this stuff as long as it works.

The receiver knobs are so smooth and the radio dial has a neat feature were little lights on either side of the needle light when the station is centered. Very analog.

11. I have a dual 704 turntable which is supposed to be nice, it says 320 usd newprice at the time, which was 1977-78, how much woudl that be nowadays? should get myself a better needle though

my father has 2 pairs of Yamaha ns1000 speakers(With berilium dome tweeters) went on sale in '75 for 400 pundsI gather, quite nice things, heavy as hell though

12. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Micro Seiki turntable, belt driven circa 74.
    Nikko receiver circa 77. Shiny chrome knobs. Blue lights.
    Groovy.

And when my Radio Shack tape deck bit the big
    bullet, the old qintar in the sky told me to go to the
    local dump, where I discovered a Sony reel to reel lovingly
    left by some henpecked dope whose wife told him to throw it
    out. In flawless condition, no less. And a few 3600 foot BASF
    tapes to go with that. Plays 6 hours with only one break.
    Long enough so I don't have to get up when the 'mood'
    strikes ... :p :eek: :ninja:

I love recycling.

13. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston

Roughly $1,000. Click on "Inflation Calculator" under Inflation and Consumer Spending at this site http://www.bls.gov/home.htm

My speakers are NS-4 and they are 2' high - that would mean the NS-100 would be......... 50' high! OMG

14. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Kenwood tuner, SONY direct drive turntable. Still have the TT. EV speakers. Man that was living.

My other '"stereo" set up was one channel into a VT22 and the other into a B15S.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

15. Something like this one ?

Attached Files:

16. The Marantz provides sweet sounds in my Showroom/office.

Home Rig:
    Reciever: 1980 Sansui G7700 240 W. RMS Total
    Speakers: Avant 3A Spkr Cabinets loaded with Vifa Bass Drivers, Phillips Tweeters and Mids.
    Turntable: Dual 1229 Turntable

17. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    I run a Grommes integrated amp that uses PP EL84 for a sweet 10 watts/channel. It cost me $20.
    A good turntable and british monitors complete the system.

A lot of the old stuff sounds great and can be found cheap.

18. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    That's hot.

19. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    You aren't allowed to start threads.

20. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA

I know. Sometimes I forget and try and make inroads with you uber hipsters.