1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lets wire my PJ!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jucas, May 1, 2006.

1. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    So... I did read most of the FAQ's, and did a bit of a search, but I had a question or two left.

First, I have three spaces on a PJ and am too lazy to be moding it much further, so I was going to go vol/vol/tone. What I was wondering was if I put a push/pull series parallel switch onto one vol, and a push/pull controls bypass, is there a way to swing it so I can still switch from series to parallel on the direct out (i realize that it wont be "direct"as it has to hit up the switch, but it'll skip all the other junk)

And as an aside, if anyone has any crazy suggestions I'm more than open to hearing them...

(its a 70's P that has been hacked up a few times and was active, but I think I want to keep it passive for now. but theres tonnes of room. THe pups are going to be a nordstrand NP4 and probly a QP Jazz. )

2. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    What 'junk' are you talking about? the tone control?
    I did the series/parallel pullup vol. to my p/j and love it.
    I got the diagram here
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195970
    The tone control in full cw position is essentially bypassing itself anyway, why complicate things or just eliminate it and make it simpler.
    The circuit works this way.
    Pushed in,(parallel) the 1st vol. controls the p pup and the 2nd vol. controls the j pup. The tone works as any single passive tone and bleeds off upper bass frequencies as you go ccw. fully CW passes all frequencies as though it weren't there.
    In pulled up position,(series) the now pulled up vol controls both pups and the 2nd vol is bypassed and has no control of anything.
    On mine the vol. is boosted slightly and the frequency range sounds more extended in series mode.
    In a way , the tone becomes somewhat useless because you can control the bassiness or trebliness thru use of pickup combinations.

3. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Thanks for all the info, but i guess i didn't describe what I was looking for very well... I'm putting in a series/parrallel switch regardless, and I jusr like the idea of the switch to go from wide open and back easily... Just something I wanted to put in.

What I wanted to know was if all i need to do was wire in the series parrallel switch before the bypass switch, and if this was still going to be possible with a vol/vol/tone setup. Is it really as simple as wiring one before the other (sorry, my wiring skills have gotten a bit rusty in the last few years)...

Or is it easiest to hardwire a bypass to series or parrallel, and just put that switch inline right before the series parrallel selector?

Sorry to be a pain about this, but I like the idea of being able to suddenly open everything up for a "boost".

4. wire the pickups to the series/parallel switch, then from there to the bypass switch, but the problem there is you could only use a single volume control (not one for each)

or wire the series/parallel switch after the bypass switch and then you wouldnt be able to switch to series when bypassed

There might be a way to wire it so it works how you want it to, i just cant think of how

5. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    I was worried thats what was going to have to happen, but I hoped someone who knew more than me could tell me otherwise. THanks for the help.