Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lets Work by Prince

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by lopsy_lu, Apr 9, 2005.

1. lopsy_lu

lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    I just heard this tune for the first time, and thb, its a little too disco-cheese for me, but I couldnt get over how cool the bass playing was, great slap groove. Any ideas who Prince's bassist was? I heard a rumour it was actually him. I've had this song on repeat for about 20mins now :bassist:

2. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's him...Prince is a BAAAAAAd bassist

3. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    You want more disco-cheese? Try "Sexy Dancer"!!!!!! :hyper:

4. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.

Prince sounding disco, I've been a die-hard Prince fan from day one, and I never ever put him in the disco category, but at the same time what was so wrong with disco?

Prince will smoke most of us here on TB and our favorite bassist, listen to 777-9311 by The Time.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    It took me about 25 minutes to master that line. It was the longest 25 minutes of my life!!!!!

6. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    The disco cheese remark, from me, was tongue and cheek.

"Sexy Dancer" is the most funky, viscious bassline EVER from the Purple Man!!!!!

7. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    But u know what Scatman, after listening to it last night the piano solo he does has a disco feel to it.

Not to get off the subject, but His baddest Bass Player was Brown Mark, Prince even thinks so to.

8. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm rather partial to "Soft and Wet", "Irresistable Bitch", and the aforementioned "777-9311"

9. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Irresistable Bitch has such a nasty dripping greasey fonky tone that makes u wanna slap yo ......., thanks for reminding me.

Let's add "Head" and "DMSR" to the list.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Don't forget about "Party Up".

11. Don't forget about "Games" from Minneapolis Genius 94 East! That song is a freakin' jam!

12. outrage

outrage

Dec 14, 2004
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Prince played the recorded bassline but his bass player at the time was life-long friend Andre Cymone. Prince has had some kick-ass bass players in his time and is a total kick-ass player in his own right.

13. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    No problem...I'm used to be friends with the girl he wrote that for...Analisa Trajano. I don't know abou the b**ch part, but the girl is FINE!!!!

14. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    Ronnie talk to Russia befoe it's too late! :p :D

15. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    In this month issue of Bass Player Mag, Marcus states he learned alot about phrasing and attitude on the bass by listening to Prince's "Dirty Mind" cd.

Wow, I wonder if Prince knows this?

16. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Andre Cymone was solid, But Brown Mark who was with him from Controversy to Under to cherry moon was a monster.