letting notes ring.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MCBTunes, May 18, 2005.

1. How do you guys(with your fingers), make notes ring when your playing on the string below?

For instance if you want to pluck D and let it ring while playing notes on the G? Your suppoesed to pull the string parallel to the fretboard, and I cant get it to be loud enough or get enough attack to get the notes on G to sound clear and audible.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You can do this several ways.

Pop the notes on the G string.

Slap the notes on the G string.

Pluck the notes on the G string with your thumb.

Rake the notes on your G string with the back of your fingernails.

Tap the notes on the G string, or use hammerons.

All of these can be done without touching the D string, if you practice them enough.

And there are probably other ways to play the notes on the G that I have overlooked.
  3. cheat... use a compressor

Try plucking lighter to even out the sound
  4. i'll practice those embellisher.

antipop, doesnt a compressor kinda distort everything and just protect the speakers or am i confused?
  5. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    If you learned poorly like me, plucking is the easiest thing to do there. When I started playing, no one told me to play through the string into the string below it. Its been very hard trying to play that way and I still revert to plucking basically everything on old songs I learned when I played more that way. It gets easier all the time, but I think your better off playing correctly and adjusting to my poor technique when its needed like this hehe.
  6. You just need to get comfortable using free strokes. You let your finger travel up into your palm rather than hit the next string. I feel that it's important not to be stuck with only one technique.

The compressor amplifies when you're quiet, but does it less when you play loud, so you get even volume at the expense of dynamic control.

In this situation learning to pluck without hitting the D is probably best. It's useful and it's cheaper than buying new gear.
  7. this is where wide spacing at the bridge comes in handy- so your free stroke has more room to avoid the string you left ringing.
  8. I don't know about that -- there's a lot of space to work in wherever you pluck. I guess it could be handy when you're first learning. The stiffness of the string down there might give you the habit of plucking too hard, though.
  9. I meant wide spacing at the bridge as in 19mm as on Fenders, which makes things easier even if you're plucking over the end of the fingerboard, as opposed to narrower spacing on other basses, especially 5's 6's etc.
  10. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    ...Use the Force, MCB. :D