Letting others use your gear?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by OakenZero, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Hey all, what are your thoughts on letting other members of the band use your equipment live?

For example, the singer in the band I'm currently in at school plays rhythm guitar as well. I bought a Les Paul Studio for Christmas, and he says I should let him use it live since it's better than his gear.

Personally, I'm uncomfortable with this. It makes me feel like I'm being used...if you're serious about music, making a monetary investment is to be expected in my book.
  2. Way back in 1985...Black Flag and the Dead Kennedy's used our gear for one show.. The band that I was in, I was playing guitar at the time. The guitar I was using was the bass players .it was a very sweet 62 Rickenbacker. !!!..I took really good care of it for two years.. I really got attached to it....I wanted to steal it from her when I left the band.. but I didn't... so I guess I don't agree,,,but then again I won't let anyone touch my 37 Wilfer.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, I generally don't let others use my gear(Fodera monarchs are valuable and I don't want mine hurt) But back when I had a weirdo fernandes bass,custom job; it was actually a really good P-bass, great tone and good feel, but its got nothing on my Fodera, anyway

back when I had this bass, I once lent it to a girl because her bass was ****ed up, I wouldn't have done it, only she was really hot ;)
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Me and all of my musician friends have a mutual trust for one another, so we are all ok with letting each other play each other's instruments (in a non sexual way):D But when it comes to dudes I don't know, they ain't laying a finger on my gear until they show me they ain't gonna hurt anything.

If you are uncomfortable with letting someone use your gear, then just tell the person you are uncomfortable with it.
  5. I let 3 people other than myself use my bass. My dad cos he plays at his church, the guitarist in my hard rock band cos sometimes plays at my church, and this guy who is kind of a musical mentor to me.

I only let my dad use my amp. I just dont trust anyone else with my gear. So many people out there dont even respect their own gear, let alone other peoples gear!
  6. mental superior

mental superior

Jan 3, 2003
    if im in a gig with other bands, and they dont bring thier gear or somting wrong with it i will give.
    the reason is that i know that if someting wrong with my gear someone else will let me use his.
    but i will not give the gear if its for someone that i dont like or dosent know how to treat it.
  7. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I don't mind letting someone I know use my gear, but I hate it when someone out of the blue comes up and wants to use it.

I was playing at an outdoor reggae festival a couple of years ago, and a guy comes up to me and says, "Hey, our bass player forgot his rig; can we use yours?"

FORGOT his rig? I said, "Man, that has got to be some good ganga you guys are smoking?"
  8. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Been there!

There is several players I let use my rig, If I am the headlining band I some times let the opening bands (If I know them) use my rig.
  9. When I'm gigging, all the bands pool the backline (amps, drumkit, etc) to make things soooo much easier.

We don't share our instruments, pedals, etc, unless it's an emergency. Though usually there's one guitar and one bass that someone will bring to act as *the* spare, and it's usually really bad, but it does the job in an emergency.

'course, no-one plays my fretless 5 but me. Mostly because no-one we gig with can, but me.
  10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH

Friend: "Dude, can I play your guitar tonight?"

You: "Sure man."

Friend: "Thanks, dude."

(band plays)

Friend: "Here's your guitar back, dude, thanks again."

You: "Hey, what's this scratch on the back?? Were you wearing a sharp belt buckle??"

Friend: "Oh, wow, sorry dude."

You: (expletive).

My advice: Unless you don't care if it gets marred or scratched, don't let anyone else use your gear. The above scenario happened to me once, and I spent the better part of a year staring at the gash with a pit in my stomach every time.
  11. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I let people I know use my gear, paticularly my bandmates. I wouldn't let strangers use them though.
  12. lol about some of the experiences, particularly "I forgot my rig." That takes some special talent right there.

Thanks for the replies. I worry about my guitar getting scratched up or dented, but the more annoying issue is that he refuses to spend money on a good guitar. All that being said, I'll probably let him play it live as long as he takes care of it.
  13. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I'm pretty fussy about my gear.

Depends on who it is whether I'll let them use it -- strangers can forget about it.

And I'm more likely to let someone use my amp than one of my basses.
  14. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I aggree with not lending it out.

However, if the person who wants to borrow it has no option but to ask (eg a broken instrument or poverty) then I'd say its a band mates duty to step in and help, not necisiarily with top notch stuff, maybe an old bass or something.

Id lend out my old bass (not for more than a few hours), but only to other bassists; I cant stand it when guitarists or other people pick it up and attempt to slap, carving lil tiny groves in my pickups.

I myself would not participate in the loan brought up at the start, as it sounds like that dude thinks its his right to appear with better eqipment.
  15. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    only other players that i am close to can play my gear, and then we do not even think of touching someone else's stuff without asking first.
  16. reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Your gear is better than his gear? Who cares. I have several musician friends who take care of their gear, but not like I take care of my gear. I let a guy use my Jazz for a month or two and I got it back with RUST on the strings. I mean, how hard is it to wipe the thing down if you sweat on it? $30 bucks for strings and I can play it again. It just doesn't pay to loan equipment unless you are there to set it up, or leave explicit instructions on how you will allow it to be used.

A friend just got his PRS back from loaning it out. It sat out under a stage in the rain. Even though it was protected under the stage, it's strings are laying flat on the neck due to the humidity. His case will have to be replaced due to the mold though.
  17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used to play with the "host-band" at a weekly blues jam. I'd NEVER let others use my bass, but they could use my amp. However, I always made sure that the compresser was dialed in a bit higher than usual to protect from abusive bangers and what-not. I also stayed close by to keep an eye on things.

I considered bringing along a "beater-bass" for others to use, but it was clearly advertised by the bar that you were to bring your own instruments. Unfortunately for the poor drummer, he had drum heads damaged on a regular basis, and a cymbal or two cracked by some idiot.
  18. If it makes you uncomfortable, just don't do it. It's your guitar and you can do whatever you want with it.

Heh heh, not wanting to knock your lead singer tooooo much, I think the singer wants it 'cause it looks gooder. :D

BTW, what is your singer playing anyways? Can he afford a new instrument? Not everybody has a couple grand to toss around on instruments. Some of my friends are barely getting by on minimum wage.
  19. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    There are VERY few people I'd let use my gear. I let our guitarist use my bass and amps once because I was outta town when we had a gig. I know he took extreme caution with it, just because that's the kind of person he is. I know of MAYBE half a dozen people in the area that I would let use any of my stuff. No one's touching my V-Bass or Roscoe, though!
    As for everyone else, all my friends and most of the people in other bands we end up playing shows with all let me use whatever I want, mainly because I sold most of thier gear to them.