Letting someone use my bass on a gig, plus a stage on a rail

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TVD, Aug 16, 2004.

1. TVD

Jul 14, 2004
    Seems like every gig has its own story eh? Played an outdoor thing we do every year in Alabama on Sat night. A really senic spot. They built a permanant stage now, really great design, and a great onstage sound, plus super nice and competent sound crew there. So much easier and funner to play when it sounds good to ya on stage. But this stage they built, it's on this rail system, and has a motor, and they can move it over 100 feet or so when they don't want the stage there blocking the senic view. Never seen anything quite like it. Goes to show what can be accompolished when money is no object...heh

My bass rig somehow ended being the rig for all the bands on the show, i guess cuz we got there first and set up, but our gear being a backline wasn't an original plan, not that i minded. We went on 2nd to last. It was good in a way because i just got a new GK head, and this was my first big outdoor gig with it, so i got to hear how it sounded out front, with pa support of course. I thought it sounded great both onstage and outfront, so that was a good thing. It def passed the "test". There was a local band right before us, and this guy had a cool, funky looking old '69 Fender P. They're playing the show, and i wasn't really paying that much attention once they got going, but then i heard the bass totally cut out, then come back in, then cut out again. I look and see the soundguys doing the dance of panic up there, and i'm thinking ^%$%$$ my new amp is messing up. They tried a few things, then finally the sound man waves me over, i'm fearing the worst at this point. He tells me that the guys bass is messing up, either the pickups or the jack is broken. He didn't specifically ask if the guy could play my bass, but i could tell that's what he was driving at. I thought about it for just a second, then said sure. I hate to see anyone struggling on stage, and that's the worst feeling in the world when your gear breaks down on a gig. There was prob 2 thousand people there. So this guy picks up my bass, which is a G&L L-2500, and i could tell really quick that he wasn't familiar with playing a 5 string at all. He got thru it, but i'm sure he was real glad when the show was over. I was just real glad it wasn't my gear that was messing up. They all thanked me several times for the use of my bass during the show. On to the next "adventure" now...heh Trent
  2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Hey, where was the gig?
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my favorite is when guys play my rig/bass and ask if they can buy it afterwards :p
  4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    its always a sticky situation on whether to let other people use your gear at a show. I take 4 basses usually to shows, if someones not smart enough to bring 2 then its their fault for their bass breaking. A 69 p bass could buy 2 very nice basses. I also dont really like people playing my amps, i guess im kinda selfish. It seems if you let them your just worried about your stuff the whole time and if you dont your that guy. Oh well.
  5. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I've loaned out my rig but I WILL NOT loan out my bass! That would be like loaning out my girl. Never happen. Especially considering how a lot of bassists treat their instruments. (I've played a lot of punk shows though)
  6. Thats heaps nice of you mate!

Just be glad that he didnt drop your bass.. mess up your amp kinda thing! :cool:
  7. Basically the same thing happened to me a month ago. Unfortunately the guy had been playing with the camp fire before and really got his grubby hands all over the neck and strings. I've never felt that I had to wash my bass before but took it home after the gig and gaved it a slightly damp towel off and changed the strings.

I used my fretless for my gig and lent him my fretted Ken Smith for his gig after ours. He was so appreciative and enjoyed it so much that I really didn't mind. Perhaps I might check the player out a little more for next time,.... but I do believe I'd do it again to help a brother out.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Had that happen a few times.
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

Yep... about every other gig for me;)