1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lettuce Fly is out, and I'm really proud of it!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JohnDavisNYC, Jun 6, 2012.

1. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    Hey y'all,

Wanted to let you know that the new Lettuce LP, 'Fly' dropped yesterday and is #1 on iTunes jazz! I recorded and mixed the record at my studio The Bunker in Brooklyn, NY, and I'm super pumped with how it turned out, as well as the reaction so far.

The guys in Lettuce are great peeps, and E.D. lays down some serious bass on this record.

Check it out, and if you like it, buy it and support original music!

John

2. Woh, are you serious? I love Lettuce and was thrilled to hear the new record yesterday - congratulations on a great job!

EDIT - Now that I've woken up, I was wondering if you could shed a little light on recording / mixing a group which features both electric bass and bass played by Neal Evans on the organ.

3. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I <3 Lettuce. I had no idea you recorded it and mixed it.

4. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    Wow, need to go grab that. One my favorite groups of the last 10 years.

Glad to see a TB member was the one working the magic behind the scenes.

5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Holy crap! How have I not heard of these guys? I'm getting the album now!

6. Just go ahead and get their other records (Outta Here and Rage!) as well - killer music all around.

7. Floridabwoy

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Check out Soulive as well. Kraz, Neal, and Alan.

8. FenderBassist

FenderBassist

Oct 28, 2005
    Excellent, thank you for turning me on to this group.

9. Floridabwoy

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Also, fans of lettuce should check out Club D'elf...... But let's me not take away JDNYC Thunder......

Congrats on a job well done brother.

10. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Picked it up yesterday, really digging it.

11. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Oh man, as soon as I read this, I downloaded it. Just into the [DEL]third[/DEL], [DEL]fourth[/DEL], [DEL]fifth[/DEL], sixth tune now, and it's freaking hot! Incredible job!

A band like Lettuce... horns, keys, killin guitar player and kickin' drummer is my dream band.

12. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey, thanks everyone! I figured there'd be some Lettuce fans on a bass forum!

As for the question about E.D.'s bass and Neal's key bass, on the record Neal didn't play any key bass, it was all E.D. playing my '78 Jazz Bass through my Aguilar DB751 and DB212. DI was a Radial JDI and mic was an older U87. Both went to API 512 preamps to my Studer A80 2" 24tk tape machine.

We cut most of the record live, save for some of the horn section parts due to players schedules, and it was fun to hear them last night at Brooklyn Bowl playing all the tunes I know form the LP.

John

13. Allen_VA

Allen_VA

Sep 17, 2008
    Hokietown, VA
    You and the band did a fantastic job with this album! All my Lettuce-fan friends agree that this might be our favorite disc so far. "Lettsanity" and "Dr. Digglesworf" are my two favorite cuts - digging the P-Funk vibe on Digglesworf!

14. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Adam Deitch is a beast.....

15. KCLRbass

KCLRbass

Sep 5, 2011
    Toronto
    OOOOOOH. Gotta buy that NOW! Thanks for the heads up, John.

16. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks dudes. The digglesworth bass sound is Nigel Hall doubling E.D. on minimoog, and I also ran the bass through my pedals for the more sweepy, bug crusher stuff.

John

17. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Great job John! I was reading the liner notes and thinking John Davis, why is that name familiar.;)

18. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    My day gig is pretty fresh!

J

19. Floridabwoy

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    My fave's are Maddison Square and Ghost of Jupiter.

John,

What is the big spacey reverb on Kraz guitar at the begining of Fly (track 1). Is that a Space Echo? Was it done in the mix or live? Was it a real tape SE or the reissue?

You need to get the boys to get Nerve down to Bear Creek this year. The music you guys make is HUGE down here. The mastermind's name is Paul Levine I can give you his info if you need.

Thanks!
    N

20. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

Mar 13, 2011
    Ghost of Jupiter is a track?? Huh,,, cause that's the name of a "new" psychedelic rock band here in Boston by some of their Boston/Berklee peers. I thought the guy giving props to Mico's Del'f was hipping us to them.