1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lettuce FUNK!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jacostilllives, Feb 29, 2008.

1. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    Hey all! So I've been listening to this band Lettuce now for a few years and searched on TB and found that there has been nobody that has even mentioned them. So let me be the first to introduce everyone to the experience known as Lettuce. The bass player is awesome. He does not wank on his bass like a lot of funk players do but he just straight up burns and plays some of the funkiest bass lines i have ever heard since Paul Jackson. From what I gather they met as students at Berklee School of music. The band features some well known players like Eric Krasno who you might know from the band Soulive (great band in their own right). Now they aren't the most original band in the world since they are a straight up funk jam band but they have some amazing grooves and great style. Check them out I highly recommend them if someone is looking for some great funk/jazz music. Their only studio album is called "Outta Here" nice play on words Lettuce Outta Here. But they also have a great live album too. I recommend if you want to find out more about them search them on www.allmusic.com and learn! Take care all and I hope I've introduced a great band to some hopeful fans.

Peace,
    Alex

2. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Lettuce is cool - I think it's one of Karl Denson's projects? We've covered one of their tunes, "Squad Live", off and on for years. As you suggest, it's very simple and funky.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yep, I have one of their cd's. Very funky band. Their bassist is as solid as they come!

4. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    Funny side note that you might not know but their bass player Eric Coomes played bass and wrote/produced several tracks on Britney Spears new album Blackout. :bag: I hope that doesn't turn anyone off from their great music.

5. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    They've got a new album coming out soon.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have their Outta Here and Official boot on Kufala CDs, I'm pretty sure we talked about them here before. Drummer Adam Deitch is great too!

7. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    They have a new CD coming out? Where can i find more information about that? I haven't heard anything about it.

8. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    There's some info and clips on their myspace ( myspace.com/LettuceFunk ) page, It's set to be released April.

9. j.a.e.r.i.p

j.a.e.r.i.p

Apr 8, 2007
    Had the fortune of seeing lettuce and soulive (who to be honest are basically the same band because everyone plays with everyone), and they KILLED. Coomes was so funky becuase he didn't fill at all. It took me a long time to figure out what made it so funky, but it was because he never sacrificed the groove to play a fill, and the few times he did, he really thought about what to play and it was amazing. I got to meet the band after and stuff and it was pretty incredible. Neal Evans is also ridiculous, as is Adam Dietch. I'd love to play with those guys haha

10. Adam Deitch was just featured in a recent Modern Drummer issue. Excellent interview and a great read for any musician. I don't always get - or dig - Lettuce, but I love the spirit behind the music. Eric Coomes is a terrific player.

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I subscribe to MD, even their side interviews are more in depth than Bassplayer magazine.
    Back on topic......'Rage' the newest Lettuce CD is chock full of killer in the pocket grooves.

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Don't forget Slapbak, Seven Eleven and Dodge just to name a few!

13. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
  14. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    recently got Rage! and Outta Here!

really digging these guys, great band:cool:

15. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    saw them last summer in Colorado w/ soulive- Coomes didn't make it b/c of another commitment, so Neal Evens left hand had to sit in... honestly, nothing was missed.

i did catch Coomes w/ the Adam Deitch Project when they were on the road with Slick Rick... the show was a big let down. i guess they were catering to a hip hop crowd. Coomes bass was cranked in the subs (as he said that he likes it in a bp interview) to the point that the only other audible instrument was really tinny sounding synths.

Not knocking Coombes, the man can play and Lettuce rages, just haven't seen him in the right setting yet.

16. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    An ensemble I'm in at school is going to play "The Flu", which is off the Outta Here album. Looking forward to it.

17. Has anyone transcribed Squad-Live?
    I've got to learn it and a bunch of other tunes for an audition this week!

If anyone has a transcription I'd greatly appreciate you sending it too dankinnaird(at)gmail.com

Thanks in advance!

18. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    Man, OP, you just cost me like thirty bucks in cd order-age... but thanks! Instant fan.

19. Which guy from Soulive is in this band? I saw them in Buffalo last summer, they played all Beatles tunes, said they were making a Beatles cover album, and they were absolutely KILLING. In fact, I remember thinking "that is the most incredible drummer I have ever seen live" at the time. I have to go search for that album now and see if it exists.

20. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Eric Krasno.

Lettuce is sick. Spread the word.

brettson likes this.