1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. The purpose of this forum is to solicit input on newsletter content.  Paul L. from Threadloom (threadloom_paul) is testing algorithms that will select threads to feature as "popular" in upcoming weekly emails.  He has access to this forum and will be posting here shortly.  Thanks! - Paul D.

Level 42 - Something About You...

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by scott_barrett, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Anyone have a tab for this song? It's stuck in my head and I need to pull of some 80's funk to get it out....

Thanks
    Scott

2. It's hard to accurately place - the recorded song is a combination synth bass (Yamaha DX7) and Mark King's slap bass; sometimes the parts compliment each other, sometimes they overlap.

In their live shows, I believe they have a sequenced synth bass and Mark plays along to it.

I can sort of play this song, but to play it accurately to the recording, it requires a 5-string as there are lots of below-E notes in the song (though King plays them on a 4-string an octave higher during their live shows).

3. Thats kind of what I thought. I'm looking for the notes that are in the very beginning of the song that kind of sound likes he's walking down and ending on a really low note, and then repeating it. It's the basis of the entire song.....

Scott

4. swr

swr

Apr 12, 2000
    Maryland
    I don't have my bass with me right now, so I'm going off memory. I just started looking at this song recently and to simplify things, there's really 3 main parts to consider. There's the walk-up piece that starts the song (and continues throughout) the verse chords and the chorus chords. Take all this with a grain of salt though....

Intro: I think the walkup is E, F#, G#, A, B which leads to the chorus

Chorus, C, D, E

The verse is E, C#, D, and B

Hopefully this put's you on a path.

5. Thanks!

I'll give that a shot!

SB