1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Leveling a High fret

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Aug 19, 2007.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    is this something I can easily do on my own? I was thinking of buying one of those radius blocks from stew-mac to just do a quick leveling job. Is that the right way to go about it?

Weird thing is, is that it only buzzes with the A string @ the 15th fret. I took a credit card and used it like a fret rocker and found that the 16th fret was a bit higher, but is getting buzz just on one string normal?

Thanks in advance guys

2. getting a buzz on one string can definitely happen, it's even more common if the fret has "popped" (not seated properly in the fretboard)...take a close look and press on the fret under the A string, is it moving?

as far as leveling...the best way to level is to approach the whole board, not "spot level"....

If you're game and confident, you can attempt a level yourself...but you'd better do your homework first...

I did my homework, and my first leveling attempt was a big success...