Leveling Wavy Neck Pocket

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Linas, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    I have an SX project bass, which does not have very good sustain. Im not sure if i can attribute this to my wavy neck pocket rout; but i am wondering how i can go about effectivly leveling the shoddy rout the people at SX did on the bass. Its more than just a good sand papering will take care of. Ile try to take a picture, but as of now my digi cam is MIA.
  2. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I did it on one bass that had a way too big route for the neck pocket. It involves using epoxy resin thickened with very fine sawdust. The procedure is a bit tricky and takes a while to explain in print. If you're interested, let me know and I'll explain it step by step.. It costs about $30 for the epoxy. i didn't do it to increase sustain but to prevent the neck from shifting sideways. It did slightly increase sustain but that bass always had plenty.

The other option involves major wood work and probably isn't worth it for a cheap bass.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    If you have to shim the neck to get it set up properly (not uncommon) most of the neck won't touch the bottom of the pocket anyway.

Perhaps you have a bad set of strings or need more mass in the bridge...or have a neck or body that doesn't want to play along.

I once bought a used Yamaha Attitude bass...the entry level P Bass one. It played great when I got it, I noticed the neck screws were a little loose so I tightened them and the sustain went away... I recommend that you play around with the neck screw tightness too...gorilla grip tight isn't always the best (IMO)