1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

levels

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bearpaw, Sep 10, 2008.

1. bearpaw

bearpaw

Jul 27, 2008
    vienna
    hey,

just wondering what you would reckon as best tool to control the levels of an fx board. i got all my **** together, happy the way it sounds and the signal stays true but there's just a few pedals that boost the signal, like most electro harmonix stuff e.g.
    so i would need some kind of signal booster that can also cut on volume and that doesn't suck tone. any suggestions?

cheers

2. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Xotic Bass RC Booster:

xebrcb_big.

It can boost output (gain), cut level (volume) and has 2-band eq if you need an adjustment. It is very transparent as well! Worth every penny, in my opinion.

http://www.prosoundcommunications.com/english/xotic/effects/base_rc/

For unity gain, you set the volume at 100% and the gain at 0%. So, you have your boost ready to go (the gain knob) as well as being able to turn your level down (with the volume knob)!

3. im not sure, but i think the OP wanted something more like an effects loop with volume control, so that with one stomp he could use the pedals he wants at the volume he wants, im sure the RC booster is sick at what it does, but without the effects loop the OP would be steppin on two pedals instead of one (not ideal mid song)

my old Mini Qtron was far too loud , but got the tone i liked, something like the BOSS LS2 line selector would do the trick just fine, but its not true bypass (although i never noticed any tone suck doesnt mean its not there)

both Juan Alderete (Mars Volta, Big Sir, Racer X) and Justin Meldal-Johnsen (i think) use the LS2 in this way. Of course they have one for each unruly pedal. I wish i had kept mine, its so versatile, you can use it to select inputs or outputs, blend two effects together in parrallel, rather than in series (running one into other), and in the same way blend clean tone into a effect

hell if you're big on effects, its probably handy to just have one lying.

i dont know for sure but i dont think theres another pedal on the market that does quite as much, but there are more hi-fidelity blend pedals (barge concepts VBjr, Xotic Blender) which are true bypass and have stuff like phase inversion. but for what you want id say go for the LS2

4. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Good point!

5. Sounds like a compressor would help you out. I use a Demeter to tame volume spikes and signal boosts from other pedals on my board.

6. bearpaw

bearpaw

Jul 27, 2008
    vienna
    i actually don't need a loop or a compressor - i have a true bypass box in my setup that works as a loop. so i guess i'm searching for some true bypass level adjuster... maybe by radial? i know the booster and the buffer amp by radial but haven't found anything that can cut volume too....

7. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    The RC Booster can....

8. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Wait, why would you rule out a compressor? That is often the ticket to stablizing dynamic level changes, whether it's your technique or the occasional boost caused by a pedal (i.e., the volume spikes of a Q-Tron).

9. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Oh, also... what are your pedals?