1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Levi Seacer Jr slap sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eoinwalsh, Jan 14, 2012.

1. eoinwalsh

eoinwalsh

Jun 10, 2011
    Hi,

I'm not getting any answers in the bassists forum so I'm trying here. It's not totally irrelevant to this forum.

I really love the slap bass sound that Levi Seacer had circa 1987/1988 during the Sign of The Times and Lovesexy tours.

I'm talking particularly about the sound he gets when he pops/plucks as opposed to when he slaps/thumps. It's a really really fat pop sound even when he pops on the on the G string.

This is the slap sound I want most. I've uploaded a version of Alphabet Street from the Lovesexy rehearsals. There isn't much of the sound on this recording - I haven't had a chance to go through all the live recordings and find better examples yet - but you get the idea. At 0:31 you hear the sound I'm after.

The version of 'Head' I've included doesn't illustrate the fatness that well but it's a good example of the general tone.

I play a USA Fender passive jazz bass. I've played through various amps, cabs and gone direct in studios and I've always been able to get a nice jazz bass slap sound very easily but it's never been quite like Levi's sound. What are the ingredients of that tone? Is it to do with gain or EQ or what?

Thanks very much.

https://rapidshare.com/files/872838068/1988__CD2___03__Alphabet_St..mp3

https://rapidshare.com/files/405546297/1988__CD3___02__Head.mp3

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's mostly, (90%) technique. Any clean amp with a fairly neutral eq setting, and good set of clean spkrs, will be adequet. But the technique, that's practice practice practice.