Levinson Blade B4 Anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spike, Sep 3, 2000.

1. Has anyone tried, owned or got a Levinson Blade?
    Saw Robie Williams bassist on TV useing one yesterday and she sounded pretty good.
    Owned one of their R4 guitars a few years ago which was great quality, and I am thinking about trying this bass if I can find one.
    I think they stoped producing them when Gary Levenson teamed up with Patrick Eggle.
    Your comments on would be appreciated.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey spike

what is this instrument? do you have a link to a picture of one? i'd be interested in checking it out.

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    ditto here...I've never seen one...which makes me even more interested...:)
  4. JT/Deynn,
    I've got a pic from an old catalogue so I'll scan and post it.
    The only problem is that it's got a blond attatchted to the bass and I don't wont to open up any old wounds :D
  5. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    No problem. Spike...I won't even notice the blond...;):D
  6. Ok, scanned it and put it on my home page (photopoint) under Blade B4.
    Click on my little red house.
    I know it just looks like a Jazz, but if it's anything like their guitars it should be a very high end one.

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    "Who is that amazing looking blonde holding the bass? All I can say is WOW!!!!
    OOPS! Sorry.....:D

Yep...looks like a jazz. I recently, did see someone playing what looked like the bass in the picture. Is it comparable to a Sadowsky?

[Edited by Deynn on 09-03-2000 at 04:59 PM]
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks spike. i'll try to post the pic here...

"who's the lovely blonde with the blade?" :D
  9. I was going to do that John, but I lost my nerve :D

Deynn, In the mid ninties they cost about £1,600 ($2,300)but I don't think they were quite as high end as Sadowsky.
    Anyone know what they go for used?
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Blades were advertised moderately in the late 80s in Guitar Player, although they had no basses (at least in their ads) at the time. The most famout person to ever pose with a Blade guitar was guitarist Chris Rea.

I think this info ain't all that useful, but hey, it doesn't hurt to share...

Will C.:cool:
  11. BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    I own a Blade B-something (I never understood their numbering system). Barry Levinson apparently was an American builder working in Switzerland. Their guitars were quite popular (at least in Holland, where I live). Most of their models were juiced up fender style guitars and basses.

I have a black Jazz style bass. The good things: beautiful ebony board, great hardware. The bad things: maple body, so it's REALLY heavy and doesn't sound like a good J at all. The electronics are good but also do not contribute to getting a nice J sound.

I am going to sell mine, because I have better J style basses now.

In conclusion, Blade makes (or made???) high end Jazz style basses, that look like J basses, but have a modern, non J sound of their own.
  12. ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Blade guitars and basses were also big in Japan. I never owned one, but I've played a ton of them. I think the coolest thing about Blade basses is the electronics. Depending on which model you bought, you would have from like 4 to 12 trim pots in the control cavity of the bass. They acted like an onboard graphic EQ. You could pretty much dial up ANY tone at all on these things reguardless of what style of pickups you had in there.
  13. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    hey all

my bass teacher had a Blade bass. his Blade was Cherryburst with golden hardware and vintage style tuners. overall style was a J-bass.
    it had a Swamp Ash body, maple neck with 21 fret ebony fingerboard and two preamps.
    it has a switch that toggles between two preamps which are exactly the same but one of them has an adjustible Mid presence trim pot on it that can be twicked from the control cavity.

the bass had three knobs of which one was vol., one was Pan and the last one was Tone I guess.

the neck wasn't a Jazz neck but rather wider and not tappered.
    overall the thing played like a dream and had greatest setup I ever played.
    it sounded cool too and had two covered Blade PickUps (probably custom wound) and a nice fat bridge.

I heard they'd cost 1800 USD when they were still being imported to here (I live in Israel) and about 400-600 when found used.

finally, all the blades I seen around here were of the same finish and configuration.
    you can't find these new anymore, or so it seems.

14. willieG

Feb 10, 2003
    Love em.....
    1992 Jazz Bass
    1994 Fretless Jazz Bass
    1990 Precision Bass

here's some pics.....all from the 90's.

15. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    They really are nice.

You'll notice I list myself in the Blade club as number 2. There currently isn't a Blade Club and I felt that if there was one, someone else deserves number 1.

So, you be #1 in the Blade club. I think we'll be challenged to get above 3 members ;).
  16. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Willie...I've been in touch with Christian at Blade about parts and stuff. He tells me that the new preamps in the basses are far superior to what they used to have. He will sell them separately.

Are you on this side of the ocean by any chance?
  17. nintk

Jan 21, 2009
    i have a blade bass its made by gary levinson. i got it from my uncle about 6 years ago but hes had it for well over 20years. i have no idea what model it is and was wondering if anyone knew where i could get spare parts for it as i need to rewire the insides. i am going to keep all original parts that are still working but replacing things that are corroded.
  18. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    like Jack Blades
  19. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    go to www.bladeguitars.com and you'll find an email address to reach them. They'll sell you everything you need.
  20. willieG

Feb 10, 2003
    I had the Blade basses pre amps swapped out with the Sadowsky preamps with VTC.....

Amazing tone.....with the older wood.

I i have a Blade B2.....a fretless lined......Precision modified with a Nordstrand N4 and new Gotoh tuners with a Freedom heavy weight bridge.....all new pots and drop zone capacitaor.
    It sings.....wish I could play it.....

A beautiful transperant purple......