Levy's bass double gig bag

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaysomething, May 9, 2003.

1. Sorry if this is the wrong place to start this thread!

Ok, here's what the situation is like:

Just got my Levy's double gig bag (Model: CM88). While I'm quite happy with it, I'm just not too sure about the price: I paid 125 pounds for it (about 200 dollars).

So, has anyone else got the same bag? And how much did you pay for it?

And if that price is about right (taking into account import duty, VAT, etc.), does anyone know why a "double" gig bag would cost up to about 6 times as much as a single one? (The material used does not seem to differ that much; the design, while decent, is hardly astonishing...so perhaps it's all in the quality of the craftsmanship?)

2. jb63

Jan 3, 2002
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I have a Levys double gig bag, I'm not sure what model. I paid $80(US) for it. They are made in Canada if I'm not mistaken. I find it hard to believe that shipping to the UK would add that much to the price, unless it was a special order. I hate to say it but, you probably paid too much. I feel for ya, I hate getting ripped off.
  3. I just phoned up the retailer to double-check the price of the bag; and according to them, the UK list price of the Levy's is actually a tad more than what I've paid! (Around $206)

The one I've got can be found on the Levy's catalogue on their website http://www.levysleathers.com

The retailer I bought it from is a highly reputable one (The Gallery, London) so I don't think it's them who are ripping me off, if I'm indeed ripped off here. :meh:

Still, I won't feel too surprised if an $80 gig bag costs more than twice as much in the UK (as many other things do). One alternative for me is to return the Levy's (which the retailer has no problem with) and swap it for a Ritter double gig bag that costs 60 pounds (just under $100). Anyone has had any experience with that please?
  4. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Mine cost me about $150 (cdn) in Canada.....
  5. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Fender also makes a gig bag that will hold two basses, usually runs about $50 US. Does the job for me.

6. When I was shopping for double bags, the dealer here said that Levy's had a double with a plush interior and it would sell for around $150. So after the 17% VAT and import from Canada to UK, it seems like the price you paid would be about right. I don't think that the Fender double bag is in the same league as either the Levy's or the Undercover bags.
  7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado

I've got the same bag as you and I paid $119.00 USD for mine. I never got a chance to see one prior to ordering it (catalog picture only) and when it came in I was slightly disappointed. I thought that it would have another pocket or two, a separate compartment (two zippers) for each bass and I wish that the straps were padded. I haven't seen anything that I've liked more so I'm content with it for now. Other than that, I think that it's nice. The interior is plush, it holds my basses nice and the padding is very adequate.
  8. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    That's the one I use and I like it, Paid 50 bucks for it.
  9. Thanks for all your inputs guys!

I think I'll stick with the Levy's. There just doesn't seem to be anything else I like more that can do the job (and is available here).

Yeah, the biggest let-down with the Levy's is probably the un-padded straps - imagine the pain on the shoulders - Arghhhhh! Another thing is how little leather you can actually find on this bag made by Levy's "Leathers". But overall a really nice bag IMO: I'd be overjoyed if I could get it for less than $120.

The Ritter Super-Pak, while having an apparently much better design, is really not for me.:rolleyes: Worth checking out though. http://www.ritter-bags.com

If anyone seeing this happens to know something in the UK that's worth looking into, please let me know; that'll be much appreciated!

Jay C.