1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LEVY'S LM19 or a MONO M80?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ricky Caboverde, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Hi guys,
    sorry to ask this "apples and oranges" type of question, but if you could purchase either one for near $100, which would you buy if both protection and convenience were a necessity? I would love to consider a Contego, but my bass, Guild B302, is both long (about 46 1/2") and requires A LOT of space behind the headstock. It's either a gigbag for me, which is scary if I were to drop the bass on its back - potentially breaking the headstock, or a hybrid case like the MONO. Though I would appreciate any other options you guys might think would fit my bass.

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    The Mono. I've never been impressed with the Levy's bags.

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    This.

I've got a Mono M80 dual bag and it's awesome. I even use it when I take one bass.

4. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    What in particular did you find disappointing? Some guys here swear by the Levy's...I'd love to hear an opposing view (aside from a negative price-point).

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Given their price, they are flimsy and offer minimal protection. IMHO, you're paying a lot for their name and nothing else.

6. another vote for Mono. Love mine.

7. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    +1 on the mono.

8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I have a Mono single and dual and love them. Very lightweight, great protection, and lots of storage for small items. The only disadvantage I've seen with my Mono's compared to a few other bags is that the front pocket of the Mono CAN carry a micro head (in my case, a GK MB500) but just barely. It won't be able to carry other heads that are even slightly larger in any one dimension.

But for me that's a very minor criticism. I have an old laptop bag that I use for the head, plus the bag gives me even more storage/carrying space. And it goes over my shoulder leaving my hands free for my cabinets.

Overall I'm very pleased with the Mono's.

9. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    If you were to carry the head in there, would you still be able to fit a couple of cables and other smaller necessities, or would it be to cramped by the head?

10. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    With that particular head in there, room for other stuff in that pocket is pretty limited. I've stuffed a shorter cable into space on the side. However, I really can't use the velcro cable strap with my head in there. There's not enough room front-to-back that way.

But since I use the laptop bag to carry the head, room in the Mono is a really non-issue for me. It would be GREAT to be able to carry the head in there too, but there are tradeoffs with everything. I like the padding and low weight of the Mono enough that they offset the capacity of the front pocket.

I haven't owned an iGig, but everything I've read about them says they're VERY roomy, but they're also a *lot* heavier than a Mono. Just to give you some perspective on how light the Mono's are, my Mono *dual* weighs about as much as my instructor's Reunion Blues Continental (also a very nice bag, very roomy front pocket).

11. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Gotcha. Thanks :)