Levy's Vs Comfort Strapp

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BenHack, Jan 16, 2001.

1. Hey guys

I've just bought my new bass (Warwick Fortress Masterman 5 - awesome) and I think it's time to get a strap that helps ease the load (it's not the heaviest, but not the lightest either). I also own a Stingray 5 which is also a little heavy. Well the problem is that I can't find a strap that's wide enough for my liking (ie 3-3.5 in) and padded ennough to ease my aching shoulder. I've heard disscussions about the Comfort Strapp and also the range offered by Levy (I've even seen pictures of them on the web).

My question is what are the pro's and con's of each? I obvioiusly can't a/b them so I'm just after some of your opinions on the matter. I've heard that the comfort srapp can stetch. Is this a significant stretch, what sort of distance are we talking. Keep groovin, C-YA.

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Ben -

I'm a confirmed Comfort Strapp user, nothing else even comes close, for me (remember y'all, this is just my personal opinion). They do stretch just a bit, but not all that much. My basses weigh 10.5 and 11.5 lbs each (if you're a metric user....you do the math, I'm too lazy ;) ), and when I first drop one around my shoulder, the strap may let it "bounce" about an inch or so, and then it returns to where I want it. The padding on the strap really makes a difference, it will not cut into your shoulder under any circumstances (something that my previous leather straps would do sometimes).

I used these straps on 6 hour gigs, 4 and 5 nites a week, for over a year. In all that time I never went home with a sore or tired back or shoulder. Contrary to what you'd think looking at them, they're surprisingly durable, I've had both of mine for about 4 years, neither has any signs of wear or failure, and mind you I beat the snot out of my stuff :eek: (you should see the dents and dings in my basses :( ).

Also, I LIKE the fact that once I set my bass somewhere it STAYS there, to me this is one of the bonuses of the Comfort Strapp. It's not that difficult to re-position your bass with it either, just lift a little bit and move the bass - that's it.

The Levy's leather straps are very good as well, if you prefer a more traditional leather strap they're probably the best I've tried.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would go along with everything that Gard says on this. When I first got a 6-string bass about 3-4 years ago I was using Levys straps - wide leather, but found it was still making my back ache on long gigs. But the Comfort Strapp was a real revelation and made the back ache go away. I play lighter basses now, but still wouldn't swap the Strapp for anything else - as Gard mentions, I really like the way you can put the bass where you want it and this makes left-hand technique more consistent for me and I can get the right angle easily and it stays. When I try other instruments now I'm always shifting to get the right position. They really are different and I've had several comments/enquiries from other players - including pros - who have noticed the Strapp and been interested.
  4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've got both a wide Levy and a Comfort Strapp and they're both really good. I haven't played any 6-hour marathons recently but the stretch of the Comfort Strapp is helpful. Just be sure to try one before you buy; they make several sizes and if you get the wrong one the foam won't sit in the right place on your shoulder. Their only drawback: the plastic hardware could mar a delicate finish.
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Levy makes wide straps and wide, padded straps. I use the padded strap and it's very nice. I strap on anything and I don't feel the weight. As Gard said, the Comfort Strapp and the padded Levy are both very good.
  6. I use one of those fat, padded leather Levy's straps. But then again, I had to buy it in the US over summer. The choice of straps here in Hong Kong sucks major arse. They don't have any plain straps. They've all gotta have some sorta weird design on them, and none of the leather straps they have are PADDED leather straps. Anyway, I'm just rambling.
    So anyway, I find nothing wrong with the fat, padded Levy's straps. Maybe if I ever got to see/try a Comfort Strapp I'd change my mind, but until then, I'm perfectly fine with my fat padded Levy's strap. :)