Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lex Lloyd

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Made a trip to Cincy yesterday to get some work done on both of my basses, and had the pleasure of meeting fellow TBer Nick Lloyd in realspace instead of cyberspace. Very nice guy, interesting conversationalist, and quite capable of wielding the tools of luthiery, he was able to cure my carved bass of a serious cold by repositioning the soundpost and dressing the fingerboard, which was getting buzzy around the octave. Nick was nice enough to arrange to do this on a "while you wait" basis as I was coming from 100 miles away, which saved me some time and a trip, and professional to the point where he wanted to make sure everything was to my liking before I headed back even if it meant hanging around and tweaking things to my satisfaction even after I'd already written the check. How's that for service?

Off topic, it was nice to finally "meet" another DBer from the board, and fun to talk about the differences between "cyberpersonalities" and real ones. So far, my experience with meeting fellow TBers has been nothing but positive, as I'm batting 2 for 2 (I met Chris Y from the BG side this summer).

So, just a heads up to anyone in the general Cincy/Indy/Louisville etc. area......there's a new guy in town, and he's well worth looking up if the thought of the Bass Cellar's 4 month backlog is too much to bear. I recorded my bass last night after bringing it home, and it sounds MUCH happier. Guess what that makes me?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    How many guesses do I get?

I'll be in Toledo, OH for the first two weekends of January and the week in between. Not quite close enough to connect, but we'll in neighboring states for a minute.

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It was great to meet the basses, as well as the infamous durrl! (he had to explain that one to me....) Sounds like the recording went well, too.

I suggest everybody here meet another TBer at one point or another. It's funny to shake hands with a stranger, but already know them. But, Toledo is a bit far for a drink...

4. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    It warms my heart! I'm glad you guys had a positive experience[for condescending #### holes].

The upcoming ISB convention should get a few more TB'ers together. In fact, we might want to throw a TB party. Good idea, Jeff! Why, thank you Jeff. I'm gonna start a new thread.

ps to nickelloid- Yakboy, I lost your phone number-send it post haste!

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Actually, I ws the only condescending ***hole in the room, as Nick's either a really nice guy or a great actor. As an aside, one of my students bought a bass he graciously let me take back with me to the bluegrass for her to try out. I might add that anybody looking for a decent starter plywood or hybrid would also do well to look Nick up if they're in the area. The two I played were very nice for the money, which was minimal.