1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lexicon Omega question?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Noosh, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Noosh

Noosh

May 1, 2006
    North Carolina
    iight, so im looking into getting a lexicon omega for recording, as i have some decent recording software but no audio interface, my main question is does the Omega work with software other than Cubase. Im not sure if i will like cubase and if i dont i would like to be able to use this in another program.

Thanks Guys

2. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    I had one of these, and I sold it after only two weeks.

Pros:
    For single instrument recording through Cubase, it was very clean, and accurate. Recording my bass direct was a breeze, just run a cable from the Direct out on my amp to the XLR in on the Lexicon. set levels, and go...

Cons:
    It had latency problems (as it only uses USB 1.0), and it was a pain to get any software other than Cubase to recognize it. I couldn't reliably get both channels to Record without pops or skips from dropped signal in those other software packages.

3. My first audio interface was a Lexicon Lambda..same as Omega except only 2 channels i think...I had latency issues as well, and its sitting on a shelf now..I go through Line 6 pod xt now with zero latency when recording.

4. johnsonbobble

johnsonbobble

Sep 29, 2008
    I've used an Omega for a while and it works great.
    It comes with WDM and ASIO drivers so I can use it with my Cool Edit Pro and Cubase software.
    I have also used it with Guitar Rig stand alone, Fruity Loops, and Reason 3.0.

Latency?
    When recording?
    Uhh, don't know what you guys were doing using software monitoring but the Omega has direct monitoring.
    You can hear what you are playing in real time with ZERO latency.

The only time you get latency is when using software monitoring. If you are intending to use your computer as a multi-effect box for your guitar in real time then you will have some latency.
    You would have latency doing this with a PCI card as well (M-Audio Delta 1010LT).

I still use my Delta 1010 but the Omega is great since I can use it on my laptop, desktop or any other computer (portable oh yeah).

Anyway, with the new drivers I got my total latency down to 10ms with Vista.
    Playing soft synths with 5ms latency?
    That's fine with me.

Maybe you guys were using the wrong drivers.
    I had problems with my recordings lining up when I used the generic ASIO direct x driver in Cubase.

5. johnsonbobble

johnsonbobble

Sep 29, 2008
    I guess I should clarify.
    my total latency is now 10ms (in and out)

soft synths would only go through the output latency which is 5ms.

almost real time, oh yeah.

:cool:

6. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn

yeah the direct monitoring is OK, but if you are the only one playing all the instruments, you monitor playback. that's where the latency was a problem!!!

I tried the ASIO4ALL drivers.. they helped a little.... but not enough to make me keep it....

7. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I do that and i still never had latency with it. It was a great deal for the money i feel.

8. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    The first couple of tracks were OK but after about three tracks, noticable, after a couple more (5 or so), completely unusable in sonar, logic...

Cubase was a little better about it, but it was still noticable and annoying.

9. My monitors were coming direct from the Lambda...but the recordings, as stated seemed to get more and more off track , depending on number of tracks..and I dont have that problem at all now with the same pc, running the same software, but using a Pod to interface and run the monitors.

10. Noosh

Noosh

May 1, 2006
    North Carolina
    wow, thanks for all the feedback guys, after reading reviews and such ive decided to save up an extra 100 bucks and get the Mbox mini since it seems to be an overall better choice and since protools LE is included, i get top grade software that im actually familiar with.
    anyone have any experience/comments on this?