1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LF: Amp recommendations for stingray and rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bunky, Jun 29, 2020 at 8:12 PM.

1. Bunky

Bunky

Jul 12, 2011
    Looking to buy an amp to compliment both.

•Will mostly be playing at home for fun, enough wattage for rare jams. High wattage definitely not a priority.

• I’d rather solid state cause I don’t want to fiddle with tubes. I’ve heard a ricks sound best pushing a tube amp though...so I’m open to the possibility.

• budget is $1000 max, will likely shop used.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020 at 8:22 PM
  2. You could get a 200w tube Traynor and a cab used in that that price bracket.

It has never crossed my mind to choose any particular amp out of my stable for any particular bass I might have decided to use. As far as I am concerned their qualities are fully independent.

Bunky likes this.
  3. forrestlaw

forrestlaw Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Houston
    Lots of options depending on what kind of sound you're going for. For something more "modern" sounding a GK 700rbii and a GK Neo cab with your choice of driver would come in well shy of $1000 used. For a more "vintage-y" sound an Ampeg PF350/PF500 would be on the cheaper end while an Aguilar TH350/TH500 would be a little more expensive. I think any of those would be fine for an occasional jam and, with the right cab(s), could serve you well if/when you join a band.

Lastly, don't overlook the Fender Rumble Studio 40 or Stage 800. Both of those pack alot of features and sounds into them. The built-in effects and amp models are not perfect, but are definitely useable.

EDIT: It's true that my Ric 4003 sounds really good through an SVT with an 810 cab. That being said, my TH500 and 2x112 cabs are great, too.

4. Used GK combo (2x10, 2x12) for a clear tone, just in case that's the tone you want. For a tubey sound, add a Tech 21 VT bass pedal.