Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LFO FILTERING AND SYNTH EFFECTS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by D.A.R.K., Aug 22, 2003.

1. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    I play in a live drum'n bass band, as well as adding bass to dj's spinning drum'n bass, dark jungle, deep bass, etc...
    i use an NS 5 string electric upright, detune it alot,(e down to a, for ex.) and mix the clean signal with many effects including a pair of old dod envelope filters, one which will open for wah tones and the other closed for monster subs. i have also used dbx 120xp subharmonic synths, and have been looking for a rack unit called the electrx filter factory.
    the dod stuff seems to have the thickest colour so far.
    so, do you synth out your bass tones, and what have you found that works? what doesn't?

thanks!
    d.k.

2. Effects?

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    You'll get more responses in the effects forum. Also, consider doing a search.

I use a vintage mutron III. The new digitech xbw is pretty cool. The boss syb3 is *way* overpirced but has a few good sounds. I still need to get an Electroharmonix Bass Synth, they have an excellent rep. The Korg g5 is great, but I haven't been able to work it into my setup yet. They are discontinued and expensive. For the best and deepest synth tones, by *far*, I use an old Roland GR77B. Unfortunately, they are old and not very reliable. Mine are waiting for repair now. :bawl:

4. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    effects forum..that would make more sense
    i'm new here i must say this site is awesome..
    those old roland synths are amazing, but a ton of time between tracking the note and sending the sound out. that stuff was used heavily by The Art Of Noise. great stuff!

i will have to comment that the only true un-effected bass sounds are from acoustic instruments. once it hits the pickup, it's electronic, effected by gain stages and eq stages, etc.

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    The time lag is only noticeable on some patches. I always mix the clean tone in so the lag is not usually an issue. The great thing is that you can midi it other synth modules too -- I have an old Casio VZ that gets *incredibly* low tones -- they make my gut feel all squishy. I haven't tried the new roland vbass, but my understanding is that it's more for modelling than for synthing.

6. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i tried the v bass, it does some cool stuff but you're right, it's geared toward modeling.
    the older, less stable stuff seems to have the most character. that's why i like those nasty old dod's. the trick seems to be as you stated, mixing the sound with a clean signal.