Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lfo filters and bass synths

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by D.A.R.K., Aug 22, 2003.

1. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i started this thread by accident in the bass forum, so no, no deja vu....
    i play in a live drum'n bass band, as well as adding bass to dj's spinning drum'n bass, dark jungle, deep bass, etc...
    i use an ns 5 string electric upright through many fx including a pair of old dod envelope filters, one open for wah, one closed for sub sounds, i have used dbx 120xp subharmonic synth units and am looking for the electrix filter factory.

what do you use?what has/has not worked for you?

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    MadSub will probably come along fairly soon. He and Jasonbraatz seem to be the authorities around here on envelope filters. I can't tell you as much about them, but my list of filters and synths includes the DOD FX25, Akai Deep Impact, Digitech X-Series Synth, Electrix FilterQueen, and Roland V-Bass. I really think I'm forgetting something, but don't know what.
    I really like the Electrix, but it is a little noisy at times. I've had the Akai for about two weeks now, but just spent time with it two nights ago. Pretty much the same on the Digitech. I'd offer more insight, but I don't have too much.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I try to keep things analog if I can. For filters I use a Lovetone Meatball, Teese RMC3 wah, ZVex Ooh-wah, and a EH Bassballs (USA). I use the EH Microsynth for a synth.

I'd love to have a V-Bass, but I hate the pickup on that thing. Maybe I'll build a Steiberger with a built in piezo trigger someday. That would be sweet!

Your band sounds like it would be cool, DARK. I'd love to put together an electronic band here in San Francisco.

4. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Hey, BTA...hope everything went ok with the move! Do you have any recordings of you ZVex effects? I'm really interested in the Ooh-Wah and the Lofi Looper, but want to know how they sound on bass.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Hmm, I could record some stuff with that pretty easy. Perhaps I could set something up on MP3.com with samples of all my pedals. That would be swell.

The move went great, by the way. Now I just need a job and a band to play with and I'm all set.

6. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    thanks for the input, and the direction to the thread!
    guess i'm on the money with the fx25's and 120xp.....
    i'd like to hear more about the deep impact by akai...

7. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
  8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    For an envelope filter/follower, my favorite is the EH Q-tron. Compared it to several other analog units (including vintage and new Mu-Tron's), and it seemed to do the best job of maintaining the low end. I also have a Digitech X-series Bass Synth, which I will probably be selling now that I have picked up a Deep Impact pedal.

Tom.

9. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I've had pretty good success with these ones, and I currently use all of them (and an Akai Unibass). Some of them are digital (Sorry Mad-Sub!) Anyway, here's my 2 cents worth:

Akai Deep Impact: Really the most keyboard-like out of the bunch IMHO, and to me the most useful "Synth" I've played. Can you say Mini-moog? And true bypass switching to boot!

Digitech XBW: I can do without any of the synth sounds it makes, but there is not a better octave divider out there. It tracks to low B!?!

Ibanez SB-7: Not too "keyboard" sounding, but then again it's not a true "synthesizer". It's really got it's own distort-filter-octave thing going for it....Sounds good for what it is, and there is NO tracking issue because it's analog. I actually use it quite a bit.

EBS BassIQ: A really good, wet sounding "Quack" when set on the "Up" position. I don't really use the other 2 positions, but they don't sound bad.

Boss VF-1: Believe it or not, this thing has some pretty decent Wah and Envelope sounds in it. None of them will make me want to get rid of my pedals, but I don't feel short-changed when I leave my pedal board at home because there's no room for it on stage (or just too lazy to set it up)

:D

Anyway, I hope this mini-review helped.

Wiley