LFO vs LPF

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ansonsti, Mar 11, 2017.

1. ansonsti

ansonsti

Nov 16, 2015
    Western NY
    Hi there,

I'm curious with how close I'm getting to redundancy on my board. I have the Xerograph Deluxe, and use an expression pedal with it to control the LPF. It sounds great. I also have a birthday coming up and am going to be hitting the parents up for the Ottobit Jr once that drops. Now, that is supposed to have an LFO (which I imagine is expression controllable) built in (along with bit crushing and other filthyness). I'm about to pull the trigger on the Expressionator because I want to be able to control my filtering and crushing simultaneously. But I just had an epiphany that I might be throwing bad money after good if the LFO on the Ottobit Jr will do basically the same thing as the LPF on my Xerograph.

I think the idea of the Expressionator is cool as hell either way, and I have a couple other pedals with expression control. But my biggest concern is regarding the LFO and LPF and how much of that might be redundant, as I see those getting the heaviest use.

Alien8 likes this.
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    Possibly, but since mommy and daddy will be paying for it, so what.

Bob_Ross and Ellery like this.
  3. ansonsti

ansonsti

Nov 16, 2015
    Western NY
    Yeah but mommy and daddy ain't paying for the exptessionator

4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    As I see it parents should pay more to their offspring, after all they are the ones who decided to put us into this miserable hell hole that could go off into the drain any given minute, and that without asking permission first!

I at least, as far as I remember, wasn't asked if I wanted to be born, hell I wasn't even given the option as to where and under what circumstances.

Literally parents actually owe their children their lives!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Jeff Scott and ansonsti like this.
  5. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    This thread has taken one of the strangest turns I've ever seen on TB. Anyhoo... I have no clue about the LFO or the LPF, but here's a story about my dad: We were in Boulder, CO and there was a little booth of musical instruments at some fair-type-thing. They had an Applause distortion pedal. I was like 10 or 11 and had no effects and I begged him to buy me this pedal. He says, "Keep practicing and you won't need to buy applause."

6. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    That's a fantastic line.

Bodeanly likes this.
  7. ansonsti

ansonsti

Nov 16, 2015
    Western NY
    Yeah I've gotten nowhere on this. I shouldn't have mentioned the birthday present thing.

What I'm really looking for is somewhere between a barebones and in-depth description and comparison of LPF and LFO. Probably should have just googled it and made my own conclusions. Thought I might be able to come across a quick, personalized answer on here.

I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on the expressionator if only because it will save me Headaches if (and when) I get more expression heavy pedals.

For example, Meris is also going to be putting out a Reverb that has expression and is currently out of budget, but may be feasible at some point. It would play well with Ottobit Jr, and could add a lot more to my board than just a bass toy (banjo, guitar, keys etc)

The ability to add parameters to expression with the expressionator is also a huge strong point for me. Would probably mitigate redundancy between pedals by adding weirdness to the way the expression sweeps, etc.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    Google oscillator, then Google filter. For starters, a LPF filters (cuts) out high frequencies, just like the passive tone roll-off control on your bass. That's why it's called a Low Pass Filter, it lets the lows pass through.

9. ansonsti

ansonsti

Nov 16, 2015
    Western NY
    Yeah I've kind of got the LPF thing down, haven't done the same level of looking into the LFO.

There's an LFO built into my Night Wire and I generally keep it off when I'm womping the Xerograph...

The two sounds just seem to occupy the same space in my brain

10. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    An LFO is just a low frequency oscillator, meaning a signal that is modulated at a set rhythm. So for instance if the volume is modulated at a regular frequency it is a Tremolo.

If what is modulated is the pitch, it's a vibrato. Likewise for a phaser etc. With a filter it's an autowah.

I'd never heard of the Ottobit but looking it up it does seem to have a LPF and expression control. That being said that doesn't mean it will replace the functionality of the Xero.

AlexanderB, ansonsti and Matt Dean like this.
  11. Really?

12. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    ansonsti likes this.
  13. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Well someone needs some more happy sauce with their fruit loops....

FilterFunk and the_Ryan like this.
  14. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Aside from all of the Googling you should keep doing - the learning is quite important stuff for advanced effect users - here is what I would do:

Get the expressionator.

Why?

The XeroDlx is a highly tweakable filter, while the filter in the Ottobit may not be as tweakable - I would love to read the manual. Having expression control over both filters is a cool option - and certainly not redundant.

The Ottobit's expression port provides access to sooo much more that in use with the XeroDlx would be great.

Now as for LPF and LFO. Your XeroDlx is a LPF and does not have an LFO. You can however simulate what a slow speed LFO can do by rocking your foot to the beat on the expression pedal, sweeping the filter. Now this is only one small portion of how a LFO sounds when it is affecting a parameter. LFO's have different shapes and sizes (so to speak) and of course speeds. The Ottobit is based on LFO's to make most of its sounds. It just happens to have a LPF built in to it that the LFO can control.

If you want some video learning, this is a great place: (it's synth based, but this is the one musical instrument that uses this terminology regularly):

Marc Doty Educational Video Selections: The Foundation of Synthesis (for macProVideo, through the Bob Moog Foundation) - YouTube

ansonsti likes this.
  15. Indeed.

NSFW language.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  16. Will you be my daddy? :roflmao:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    NoiseNinja likes this.
  17. swafran

swafran

Nov 6, 2008
    Paris, France
    They are 2 completely different things, and are not comparable to each other at all.

LPF is a filter, it colors your sound by filtering out certain frequencies (treble and bass controls on a home stereo are examples of filters)

LFO is a low frequency oscillator, it produces a wave, usually not fed into your signal. The wave is used to make some parameter vary over time. For example, if you set an LFO to control volume, the volume will rise and fall, at the rate of the wave, giving you a tremolo effect. If you set an LFO to control a filter it will sound like wow wow wow at the rate of the wave. Find out what the LFO is controlling and you will have a better idea of what it does in that particular pedal.

Ctte2112 likes this.
  18. That sounds like something my dad would have said to me. No pun goes unturned in my family.

19. ansonsti

ansonsti

Nov 16, 2015
    Western NY
    Thanks for the input y'all. That pretty much sorts it.

I've got the Expressionator and a couple of Strymon TRS cables in the mail. Saw the Express. on 15% discount on Reverb so that pretty much settled it. Looking forward to fiddling with it.

It'll add tweak ability even to my Xero because IE recommends the Moog pedal which has an upper limit to dial in. But I can dial that upper limit in on the expressionator, while still using my Dunlop mini. And now when I get the Ottobit I should already have the expressionator jammed into the board and ready to integrate.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022